Dell Monitor not compatible with my new R7 260X Graphic Card.

Rahul Baskaran

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
I had a Radeon 5450 and decided to upgrade. So I went out and bought a R7 260x GPU. I bought a 550W PSU along with it. I removed the old hardware and attached the new hardware and started the system. My Dell E198WFP monitor runs the Self-Test feature and doesn't proceed forward.

Before the new hardware, my monitor to graphic card was connected with VGA cable. But the current graphic card does not have VGA port and has only the Dual Link DVI-I port. So I got myself a DVI to VGA adapter, but I'm still getting the same error. Then I went ahead and checked the monitor. The monitor also has a Dual Link DVI-D port. Can I get a DVI-I to DVI-I cable? Would that do the trick? Not able to figure out what the problem is.

Solution
what if you boot it with the card but with the monitor in onboard graphix and check the bios then if the setting is correct? Maybe it is reset after you put a GPU in.

Rahul Baskaran

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Ok.. Update #1..
I found a DVI-D Single Link cable.. I used that to connect from my monitor to the graphic card. It is still not working.. I am getting the same message.. The display in BIOS is set to PCI-E. So no issues there either. No matter what I do.. the display does not seem to be working.

Is connecting a Dual Link DVI-I cable the only solution??

Rahul Baskaran

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Nope, for this.. I removed the graphics card.. And reconnected the VGA cable to the Onboard Graphics... There I checked the BIOS.. And the display is set to PCI-E. And then I reconnected the card and checked if it fit properly. No problems there.. Does the DVI-D Single Link work with DVI-I Dual Link port. It fits without any problems, but not sure if its compatible??

Rahul Baskaran

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Oops... Mistakenly selected that as the Best solution.. Anyway, I tried that as well.. But its still not working.. Same message.

aatje92

Honorable
Haha damn i thought you solved it, tough one this is. Have you got another monitor to try it out with? Is the GPU correctly mounted in the slot? I remember i had some similair problems when a GPU wasn't inserted correctly.

Rahul Baskaran

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Yep.. Its properly mounted.. I even removed and re-inserted it again. If I remove the graphic card and try with the onboard, it works perfectly. So definitely not a monitor problem. Wonder if the graphic card could have problems... The fan rotates however.. So not sure about that.. And I do have one more monitor, but it is the same model.

cos702003

Reputable
May 28, 2014
This may sound basic, but did you install the new cards drivers and remove the old cards drivers? This should be accomplished using the integrated graphics on your mobo which should also have it's own port. On my computer, the onboard port is hdmi and my monitor uses dvi. So I was required to uninstall old card and software, enable integrated graphics and hook up and hdmi to use the monitor, install new card and software (still integrated graphics), and then one last reboot, removing the integrated cord and plugging in the dvi cord to the new card. I also went into device manager and disabled the onboard graphics for good measure.
HTH

cos702003

Reputable
May 28, 2014
on a side note...If you run a bunch of peripherals or drives then the 550 PS may not be big enough to meet all your needs. Check around online for power requirement apps that can help you identify how much power your particular system devours.