Does overheating cause permanent damage to cpu?

Naytch

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
I have a note book, I use it frequently to stream videos. Twice I had been watching a video on you tube and fall asleep, when I woke up the computer had shut down. When I booted it up, there was a message saying one of the cooling fans is malfunctioning and replace it in order to prevent damage to the hardware components. I didn't replace the fan but started to put a cooling pad under the note book. Recently when I stream video my computer gets very hot and video becomes jittery. Have I caused permanent damage to the cpu ?
Thanks for the reply in advance

G

There's a filter for dirty at the entrace of the fan, and if it is very dirty, the air flow will drop and your CPU will warm up inevitably, no matter if you are using a cooling fan. You don't need to replace it, but just open the case and sweep the filter. But since the parts of a notebook are fragile, it is highly recommend to contact a professional and not try to open the case at your own.

Yes, if you use the CPU at high temperatures for a long time, it may fry some transistors and the perform will drop permanently. There is a risk of fry the entire CPU too.

Naytch

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
Ok just more info my notebook is under warranty, in what way do i talk to the hp warranty service about so I can have it work it to full capacity like may be get the cpu changed etc. My pc works but streaming video is problematic. Will they still change the cpu ?

G

Contact and tell them that you are having bad performance and the notebook is heating up too much. Complain a lot about slow video editing, watching videos and etc, and a hot air flowing out the case. Do all the steps they instruct you to do (like update the drivers and stuff) but it won't work so they will open a Ticket for Support and will allow you to send the equipment to the HP headquarters and let them open and clean the fan and the filter. It won't be necessary to change the CPU. Just use it in low or medium energy plan.

Edit:
My notebook is HP too and it used to have a blue screen because the wire of the webcam was failing, so I sent them the equipment. They changed the motherboard, and in the second time they changed the wire.

CPUs are tough and can handle very high temperatures for a VERY long time because they are built to handle high temps... But if the CPU is reaching sustained temps over 110c on a regular basis then I would say that it could start to malfunction at any time. Notebooks aren't ideal for streaming videos anyway. I would build a media server for that if possible. Usually what happens when your notebook is overheating is that there is a wall of dust that has built up around the vent. You can't fix it though because you need to partly open it up and you warranty will be void.

Naytch

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
Thank guys for the replies but, can you tell me is there a test I can do to see if my cpu hasn't sustained any damage?