Antec's GX500 Gaming Case Costs Just $50

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
This case looks alright. But I agree with BulkZerker -- it's a pity the fan openings don't support 140mm fans.

Jane, a minor mistake you may wish to correct:

This ATX/Micro-ATX/Mini-ITX case boasts room for four fans in total (two 120 mm in front, two 120 mm on top, and one each on the left side panel and in the rear) with three pre-installed (one in the rear, two on top).

2 front + 2 top + 1 side + 1 rear = 6 fans in total, not 4.

Jeffrey H

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
I say one of the more Decent Cases I have seen so far on the market, and something that should be looked at if you want to work on a budget.

f-14

Distinguished
This case looks alright. But I agree with BulkZerker -- it's a pity the fan openings don't support 140mm fans.

Jane, a minor mistake you may wish to correct:

This ATX/Micro-ATX/Mini-ITX case boasts room for four fans in total (two 120 mm in front, two 120 mm on top, and one each on the left side panel and in the rear) with three pre-installed (one in the rear, two on top).

2 front + 2 top + 1 side + 1 rear = 6 fans in total, not 4.

she's getting hip to being part of the common core generation!

artk2219

Distinguished
That side panel looks like there is enough space to mount a 200mm fan without much of an issue if they would have just made the mountings for it and meshed it out (obviously not included it though, not for $50 dollars). But i guess that's a feature that's still reserved for the more expensive cases.

alextheblue

Distinguished
she's getting hip to being part of the common core generation!
Common Core is so ridiculous. "Our students are ignorant and bad test scores are reflecting poorly on us. We can't seem to be arsed to make them learn or hold them accountable for their lack of effort, so we're changing the tests instead."

alextheblue

Distinguished
That side panel looks like there is enough space to mount a 200mm fan without much of an issue if they would have just made the mountings for it and meshed it out (obviously not included it though, not for $50 dollars). But i guess that's a feature that's still reserved for the more expensive cases.

I think that overall it's a really, really nice case for $50. Budget gaming at its finest. But it also has a lot of modding potential. I mean, like you said the side panel is ripe for a larger fan (140mm at a bare minimum), and you could probably add another intake fan to the bottom of the case between the hard drive rack and the PSU intake.

If you added an intake to the bottom you could just slap a magnetic filter on the bottom. I'd also like a closer look to see if filters could be added to the front without too much effort. You could potentially set this up like a much more expensive case with a few minor modifications.

Even bone stock it's really nice for $50 though.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Its going to be tough to beat the HAF 912 which is under $50, and supports 200mm fans in the top and front and a 140mm on the side.

Honestly, I refuse to buy another case unless it supports dual 140mm in the front and dual 140mm fans in the roof. Im done with side mounted fans unless they use some kind of contact technology so I can take off the door with the fan mounted without unplugging the fan (Thermaltake uses this technology but I refuse to buy Thermaltake)

Status
Not open for further replies.