Upgrading from 2-way sli gtx 760 2gb to 3-way worth it?

Seyren

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
I am running 3 asus vg248 monitor in surround at 5760 x 1080 (6050 with bezel)
2-way sli gtx 760 2gb I am thinking of going for 3-way sli.
Now the gpu, psu, and tax will cost about +/-$400~.

Is going for 3-way sli can actually make a difference?
Is the upgrade worth the money?

Solution
the third one typically makes only a minor improvement. the real value gets diminished when you go beyond two.
Not sure if newest drivers are making this better or not.

also, does your mobo have 3x PCI-E? if you dont have 3 slots that are 8x or better, this is silly. you don't want the third one running in a 4x slot.

Finally, 2gb ram is what's hurting you at that big resolution! I'm sure you're maxing out... and Ram does not add-up in SLI. so two 760s are still only using 2gb of RAM, (not 4gb)

youre best bet, sell your two 760s, buy two 770 4gbs. that will probably cost you about $300 out of pocket and you'll end up with enough ram to feed your 3 monitor setup, as well as faster cards

enemy1g

Honorable
There was an article on Tom's not to long ago about this.

But long story short, no.

SLI (and Xfire) generally get the most performance gain when only two cards are used. When you start adding more, the performance gains drop off rather significantly. Especially when you're talking about the lower end of the high range cards.

The best solution for you would likely be to sell your 760s, and SLI two 780s or 780 Tis, and you will likely have the performance you're looking for with surround.

lowriderflow

Distinguished
the third one typically makes only a minor improvement. the real value gets diminished when you go beyond two.
Not sure if newest drivers are making this better or not.

also, does your mobo have 3x PCI-E? if you dont have 3 slots that are 8x or better, this is silly. you don't want the third one running in a 4x slot.

Finally, 2gb ram is what's hurting you at that big resolution! I'm sure you're maxing out... and Ram does not add-up in SLI. so two 760s are still only using 2gb of RAM, (not 4gb)

youre best bet, sell your two 760s, buy two 770 4gbs. that will probably cost you about $300 out of pocket and you'll end up with enough ram to feed your 3 monitor setup, as well as faster cards

Solution

Seyren

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Thank you for your help!

And to answer your question, yes, my mobo has 4x PCI-E x16 and yes, I am also aware of the sli gb.