Jacobo GL

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Hello, this is my first post in the community and I hope you can help me. :D

This is my setup:
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 250
GPU: Radeon R7 250 1GB
RAM: 8GB

I bought Battlefield 3 some days ago and I've noticed that my fps isn't too good, I know is not a problem for my GPU, I've seen some videos and it runs smoothly with this card, is the cpu affecting the performance in the game? I'm talking about BF3 Multiplayer in 64 players map, settings are almost in low, does it worth it to change my cpu? I'm thinking in getting the AMD FX-4300 for the price. Thank you so much!

Changing your CPU will make a massive difference, but I would get a 6300, it is worth the extra money. Unless you have an AM3+ board, however, you will need a new motherboard as well. The FX series is all AM3+, which will NOT work in an AM3 board. I suggest the Asus M5A97 R2 LE, as it is a nice motherboard for the price, and will work very well for your needs. If you live near a MicroCenter, they also have some great deals on CPU/motherboard combos, often including a free motherboard with select CPUs.

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
is your motherboard an am3+ socket board? if it is then yes get another cpu yours us a dual core and it is the reason why you get bad performance in bf3 ...if you board is another socket then you need a new motherboard and maybe even new ram...abd the r7 250 is an entry level gpu it will not play battlefield on anything higher then medium settings unless you find 20 fps playable framerate...

The 250 is pretty low end, but another option that may work for you is a 7850k and compatible motherboard, and then you would be able to use dual graphics. The problem with the 7850k, though, is it requires fast RAM, not just more of it. If you get the 6300, your RAM will be fine.

Jacobo GL

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

I forgot to say, I have a MSI 760GM-P23, it is compatible with the 6300. So it is definitely worth it?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most of the current generation of games like bf3 and bf4 really need at least a 4 cores to play right, so yes, your low end 2 core CPU is hurting your gaming experience. A move up to the fx 4300 would be a serious improvement, even more so if overclocked. A slightly better solution would be the fx 6300 overclocked, but then you'll find you have the reverse, your gpu will be dragging the CPU down :p

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

great resume :) i would defenetly pump up the budget to an fx-6300 it will be well worth it in the long run, it will allow for great performance in modern games as well as future games, You will defenetly want a GPU upgrade soon after that, you want something like an r9-270x or 280x or GTX 760 or 770 to be able to play on high settings with very good framerates.

With how close the 6300 is in price to the 4300, there is no reason not to get it. Sure, there will be a bit of a bottleneck, but there will be with the 4300 too. Might as well get what's better.

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
In line with what everyone else has recommended, I too would recommend the AMD FX-6300. It will be a serious upgrade to your current processor, and will allow you to play games with it. Your current processor, the AMD Athlon X2 250 is extremely poor in performance, and no offence but I can't believe you play games with this processor. To put it into perspective, my old laptop's Intel Core 2 Duo processor is slightly better than your current CPU (and I don't use the laptop to play games).

I've taken a look at your motherboard, the MSI 760GM-P23 (FX), and it is compatible with the AMD FX-6300. Personally I'd say the FX-6300 is the best processor your motherboard can take, and for the price it is completely worth it. You should be able to play games with this processor no problem, and should bump up your frame rate with ease. I'd then consider upgrading your graphics card, but for now, I think you need the CPU upgrade.

All the best.