Are us PC Gamers really gaming in HD (High Definition)?

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
90% of PC gamers game on their monitors and most of those monitors are HD LCD monitors.

However my friend told me that LCD monitors are only HD when the image is static like a photo but soon as the image moves (motion) the resolution dynamically reduces to 300p (moving resolution). He said this doesn't happen on OLED's, Plasmas and Old CRT's where the moving resolution is native to the resolution of the screen. Hence motion games on Plasmas, OLED's look sharper compare to LCD's.

So unless your playing static games like chess or minesweeper or you have a Plasma or OLED then I think us PC gamers are not really gaming in HD.

So the 1080p monitor I got now is really 300p and the sad thing about is that I still need a powerful PC to run games at 1080p but not really getting 1080p so I feel like im being cheated.

Whats your opinion?

No offence, but I think your friend is talking rubbish. Resolution is defined by the number of pixels arcoss the X and Y axis of a monitor. Regardless of whether the image is moving or not, you still have the same number of pixels and therefore it's still HD.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014

This article backs up his claim:

Click Here

Its_Byte_00

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Static Image or not, what matters is that 'HD' Is 1920 pixels wide and 1080 pixels tall. this is about 2k pixels.

Lets Say we are playing Call of Duty BO II On a Xbox connected over HDMI. The game runs at 1280x720 on a HD TV By Stretching the pixels and makes the image look halfway decent, But remember the textures the game uses are at max 1280x720. Now lets say we play the same game on a PC connected to the same HDTV with the same HDMI Cable. Now you set the resolution to 1920x1080 and ultra textures, which are 1080P. No Matter what you do, The textures loaded are going to display in 1920x1080 as its the native resolution of the Display and its the native combined texture resolution. Now lets talk about a game like arms II. The game has 2d Resolution and 3d Resolution. Maxing the texture settings out and setting the 3d Resolution to the displays native resolution is going to make the textures display at 1080P, No matter what. Now if you set 3d resolution to 1080 and resolution to 1280x720, the game will use a technique called Super Sampling or Uber Sampling to compress and display the HD textures into 720P, This is similar to Battle Fields Resolution scale.

As for the link you posted, This is only true for interlaced resolutions such as 1080I, VS 1080P which is Interlaced and Progressive scan, respectively. The limitation here is about Bandwidth loss with low quality TV's and not even referring to new HDMI Standards or Monitors in general.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014

If its a 1080p good brand Plasma or OLED then you are defiantly getting 1080p static and 1080p moving resolution.

I think 1080p moving resolution is available on really expensive latest LCD LED displays.

Panasonic advertise their plasmas of having 1080p moving resolution.

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013

This thing brought me back 20 years when my philosophy teacher was talking about how at any given moment an arrow in its flight to the target is in a static position (e.i. not moving). Then I asked her - so are you trying to convince me that if I took a bow and shot an arrow to your head you won't die because according to you "the arrow isn't moving"?

She asked me to leave the room but my classmates were laughing their behinds off.

Its_Byte_00

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

I think he meant to say Overscan not Upscaling

That article is talking about video, and not gaming. They are not the same at all. Games will render full 1080p images every time. Video will take an image and upscale in some cases.

Tell your friend to find an article talking about gaming, and not video.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
I think OLED monitors should have been mainstream now. It was introduced 5 years ago. Gaming would have looked beautiful on OLED. Instead we have to put up with crappy LED LCD panels.

Its_Byte_00

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Its all about that Korean 1440P IPS Bro, http://www.amazon.com/QNIX-QX2710-Evolution-LED-Monitor/dp/B00BUI44US -Iv got six +4 of these babys, got em for 120 USD Cash each in korea. Most Dead pixels iv had where 4 on one then 2 on another and i'm yet to find any on the rest. this isnt true ips its LIPS, some look cheaper tech. cant tell the difference between my apple led lcd 1440p or my moms 7800x5360 OLED. My PSP Vita looks a bit worse then these, but very unnoticable.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014

Im sure you will notice that game looks sharper still than it is in motion.

You ARE aware that you are simply seeing a slideshow of static images, with a new image being displayed every 16.7ms right? So there is no motion whatsoever. Hence the premise of the argument is provably false.

The link given was about video compression. Games are nothing like video, so the whole argument makes no sense when it comes to gaming, except when it comes to some cut-scenes, which are definitely lower resolution at times.

Its_Byte_00

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

AND IT DOESNT RUN AT 24FPS ON A 60HZ DISPLAY

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014

Yes games do Render at full 1080p however its the video display e.g. LCD monitor that decides how to process that 1080p and most LCD/LED monitors/tvs cant process 1080p in motion only still static.

And this is definitely 100% relate to gaming cause without a video display how the hell would a gamer see what hes playing.

Also hardcore PC gamers spend $$$$$$$ on their PC to get the best quality/performance at the highest resolution but the sad thing is the gamer is really gaming at low resolutions unless hes gaming on OLED or Plasma or the gamer is playing a static game like chess. So y=it cannot be denied that this is related to gaming.

I know most gamers will reply back on this thread with negativity cause they cannot accept the truth or they are in denial.

The link you provided tested ONLY HDTV's and found recent TV's were 96% effective.

It would be nice if you actually found something to back up your claims in relation to GAMES and MONITORS. I'll take you seriously if you can do that.