Opinions on PNY Optima SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnrsslr

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I am looking at a PNY Optima SSD7SC240GOPT-RB. TigerDirect and Newegg both have this drive on sale for $90 after rebate. 240 GB for $90 is a good deal! But, neither site has any reviews. Is the PNY Optima a new model? Any opinions on this drive?

Hello, I don't know if you have bought it yet, but I am looking over this too. I'm looking at the $90 after rebate 240GB drive that seems an amazing deal. From what I have seen before, they are a solid unit. Given that what you are wanting it for I don't personally think you should go with anything else.

The reasons for this are mostly your activities. Technically the Samsung Drive is reported to last longer and is faster in all areas tested, but given you are going to be doing fairly basic things I don't think you will notice the difference at all. If you were a big gamer or something else I would see it as a good idea but given your usage it just seems like a waste to me for you to go for the Samsung drive.

I'm personally going somewhere in between I think. With a drive from a company I like with slightly better performance, but that itself is $30 more so I am not sure about it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313453

Raceyb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

I just requested a return from TigerDirect on this model. I'm a certified PC Tech and couldn't get it to work. Bios didn't see it the few times I looked, but occasionally, Windows would pop up and offer to format it. Formatting always failed. Also could not create partitions in diskmgmt.

No support utilities are available from PNY. No documentation comes in box. My advice is to steer clear, stick with a brand that offers diagnostics and other SSD utility tool boxes, like Samsung or Seagate.

dnrsslr

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I ended up buying the Crucial M500 240GB. I think it was $109.99 from Newegg. It has good reviews there so I guess we'll see how it works out.

Good thing you didn't buy the PNY Optima. It is an entry level ssd. According to the PNY web page for that model the company uses three different types of flash memory depending on what is available for the best price. Different types of flash memory have difference characteristics and differences in performance. Kingston did that with their V300 but they did not publish the fact or admit it until problems occurred.

kramhoff

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
I have used several of these new PNY OPTIMA drives, and they all work as well or better than any other recent model SSD I have used.

Status
Not open for further replies.