Using 40 inch tv instead of monitor for PC but having display issues

lianse

Honorable
May 6, 2013
To save on space I thought I would get rid of my PC desk and all the clutter and instead hook up my PC to the TV.
I had the issue of a black border going around the display instead of it filling the whole screen so I went in to the catalyst control centre and changed some settings there and this made the display fill the whole screen. (I'm not even sure what setting it was I changed now, i think it was something to do with scaling)
Now I have done this my games dont seem to want to run properly, the colours look funny and its lagging lots. But it plays videos fine.
Does this mean I need to change the settings back and only use it with the black border around the outside when gaming or does it mean my graphics card isnt good enough to run games on this big a screen and that I should get a better one? It is only an old HD5450
I just can't work out what is wrong with it.

jrizzz

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Well I am having this same black border problem but only on 1920x1080. What is your resolution? Turn GPU scaling off and your games should look fine. And yea, your graphics card is outdated and very low powered.

The issue with games is that you are probably running it at high resolutions on a very weak card. Lower the resolution and/or other settings.

The black border may look better than if you expand it as many LCD screens do not scale very well and can cause blurriness in the image.

lianse

Honorable
May 6, 2013

thanks for the replies, I will try your suggestions out and see if it helps