SSD Which One?

Abraxas

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
Recently I decided it was time to update my Lenovo Y580 laptop with a SSD. It has a regular hard drive in it, but it can accommodate a mSATA drive as well. I want to put either my current OS on it, and put my games on the HD, or put the games on the SSD and maybe boot to that drive too. Then I would use the HD as backup or media drive. Opinions of this are welcome.

Now my main dilemma. A local store has a nice sale going on right now for two SSD's which I have researched a bit here on Tom's and other online reviewers.

They are:

Samsung 840 EVO Series MZ-MTE500BW 500GB

And

Plextor M5M PX-256M5M 256GB

Both are in a great price range for me. The Plextor is just over $200 and the Samsung is right at $300. Both are mSATA. I am thinking the better deal would be the Samsung, cause it is way more bang for my buck. If I am also correct, it scores better than the Plextor, and they both have a three year warranty. The only difference may be that the Plextor has a MTBF of 2.4million hours, versus 1.5million.

What do you all think?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
840 Pro's are rated to run in an enterprise setting for over 15 years, the EVO's right behind that. Evenif the MTBF is as you say and only 1.5 million hours, by the time you get even close to that figure, your laptop will be so outdated and slow comparatively, it will be more than time to retire it.
I mean figure it will at most see 3000 hrs a year, working, your great grand kids will be kicking it around and it'll stll have the majority of its usuablelife left. The EVO is the best bet.

Abraxas

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005

Going to have to talk to Lenovo then and get a Windows 8 install disk. But good to know none the less.