[CLOSED/SOLVED] How long would this system last for Next Gen Games?

Chad Fisher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
So when i Leave school (about 5 weeks!) I'm hoping to get a job and save up to build a better and bigger Gaming PC then what i have already. So...

Are these Specs good, and will it be good for Next Gen Games, and how long would it actually last?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz
RAM: Crucial 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 1333MHz x2
CPU: Asus R9 290x 4GBD5
MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
HDD: WD 2TB 6GB/s
PSU: COOLMAX ZU Series ZU-800B 800W
Case: XION Gaming Series XON-980-BK Black

Thanks

Devballs

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Buying an i7-4770k and R9 290X, but DDR 1333? Jump up to 1600 at least! However pretty solid build, and seeing as people are still gaming on i7 920s and 8800s, I think you will be good for atleast 2-3 years on max settings, especially on 1080p.

4cloud

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
What will you be doing with this PC? Do you plan to learn how to overclock or already do? What games do you want to play or more like what type? Do you have knowledge on how to build a PC? What s your max budget for a gaming PC? And wich country do you live in? Where would you get these current parts from?

By answering these questions on the top you probably would end up with a build that's more worthwhile your time.

Btw coolmax isn't a very reliable brand for PSUs I don't have personal experience with the brand though. I would go for: CORSAIR, XFX, ANTEC.

Chad Fisher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Yes I know how to build a computer etcone it once. And to do Gaming. Maybe like Watch Dogs, GTA 5 , Arma 3. High Spec Games. All the parts would be brand new, and most likely from amazon or ebuyer. And I probs will overclock but have no knowledge about OC

4cloud

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
What is your maximum budget? Do you need peripherals like a mouse keyboard monitor headphones? First tell us your maximum budget.

4cloud

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3oT5w

This PC has a Air cooled Hyper 212 Evo and a 250 gb SSD since you will only start OCing if you wanted you could switch out the i7 4770K for an i5 4670K if you want in gaming it makes practically no difference unless you will use rendering and modelling programs.

The total is 1204£.

Feel free to change parts here and there :)

Technology changes really fast whats 50$ today will be 40$ tomorrow or even 60$. So in about 5 weeks those same parts will cost maybe a 50 to 100 pounds less or more depending on demand and supply. there coyuld also be more new parts for eg: the GEFORCE GTX 750TI recently came out and want so expensive. reaserch around a bit more to see what the best parts you would be able to get.

konawolv

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
Its a solid build. When you are looking at building something for the future, you have to account for the upcoming curve. With the new consoles coming out and being x86, youre going to see a leap in PC gaming as everything will be scalable. All you need to do is look at the recommended specs for Watch dogs to see this. You will need the extra threads and extra memory speed etc. So, even though 1600 MHz may not be a big deal right now, it may have a larger impact later on this year or next year. And even though not all games utilize the extra threads available to an i7 or FX 83xx, the market is rapidly growing with them, and they will be staples shortly (not to mention streaming on an i7 or fx 83xx blows an i5 out of the water). So yes, right now the only weak points in the build are the RAM speed and the HDD. You should look into putting your OS on an SSD.

Short answer, you would have a great system, and will be good for the foreseeable future. Maxing out games like Witcher 3 and maybe BF5 could be a different story. But high/ultra - MAX settings on games for a few years on most games is possible. Im in the same boat.

Chad Fisher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Ok, well thanks. Maybe When I go to buy the parts, If the GTX Titan, comes on offer might get it haha, have to see first lol, But I would probably overclock my cpu, Have to wait and see :)

konawolv

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
in this context, I wasn't talking about OS or programs (as that is what 32bit vs 64 bit is if im not mistaken). I was referring to the instruction set of the actual hardware. I don't know the specifics, but x86 is more powerful than x64. For instance, like an old Pentium core 2 duo was x64, where as an intel core i7 is x86.

So, the new consoles being x86 as opposed to being fully proprietary is significant for PC gaming as well because everything is easily portable and scalable.