R9 290X video card to feed two 2560 X 1440 monitors

philsky007

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014
Sorry if this has been asked many times.

I'm looking to build my first PC and am hoping to include a video/graphics card of the AMD R9 290X type, manufacturer to be determined. I am also hoping to include two monitors; they would be new, the same brand and the same size 27" (ie the same model number) and especially, the same resolution, 2560 x 1440.

What I am having trouble finding is the confirmation that both monitors would display, simultaneously, at the 2560 x 1440 resolution. Most, if not all, of he video cards I have looked at include two DVI dual link outputs, though not always both DVI-I or DVI-D, as well as HDMI and DisplayPort outputs. There's quite a bit of info, reviews and/or promotions suggesting that a single video card can feed two, three and even more monitors, but I can't seem to find any evidence that plugging in two 2560 x 1440 monitors into a single R9 290X video card (using the DVI connections for example, one for each monitor) will allow both monitors to display at their prime resolutions. I wouldn't want the resolutions on the monitors to drop to 1680 X 1050 because they are both connected to the same video card.

Can someone please provide me with an answer. I would appreciate a link to a website which explains the impact on their resolutions, if any, when multiple monitors are connected to a single card, with each of the monitors connected to a separate output on the card.

I realize that there may be heat issues and power issues, and even the quality of the cables used comes into play, but my concern is first and foremost with the display resolution. If they can both maintain 2560 x 1440 using the single R9 290X video card, I will be happy to address the other issues. Of course, I am hoping that the two monitors together would allow me to have a single desktop over their combined areas (would that be 5120 X 1440?).

Note that this will be an expensive proposition for me. I can afford it but have no desire to throw my hard earned money away. Again, I apologize if this is an oft repeated question on these forums. I have spent a fair amount of time seeking the answer by browsing the web. Regrettably, it becomes very time-consuming without providing the information I am seeking. Criticize me if you wish, but I implore someone to offer me an answer, with a detailed explanation made up of supportable facts. References will be appreciated.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Solution
Agreed^. If you are going to be gaming on this rig, I would consider a 780 Ti for the performance aspect. It is a couple hundred more, but it will handle the load much better. Or you could crossfire another 290X at some point, but then your computer will be a mini heater.

As for the displays, you won't have any issues. IF for some reason you can't run both DVI @ 1440p, you could easily do 1 DVI and 1 DisplayPort.

DavidRappl

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
A Intel HD 4600 can run a 4K display, so I do not see a problem with a 290X running two times 1440P.

The 290X is more then powerful enought to run two 1440P displays. With 4GB Vram, you could even play games on with displays with the settings on mid to high and get above 60fps.

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Agreed^. If you are going to be gaming on this rig, I would consider a 780 Ti for the performance aspect. It is a couple hundred more, but it will handle the load much better. Or you could crossfire another 290X at some point, but then your computer will be a mini heater.

As for the displays, you won't have any issues. IF for some reason you can't run both DVI @ 1440p, you could easily do 1 DVI and 1 DisplayPort.

Solution

chicken4thewin

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

I have a Zotac GTX 760 AMP and it works fine. i.e.: there's no need to drop $800 on a card when a $280 one will do the trick.

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

There is a need when someone wants to play on Ultra with 50+ fps @ 1440p in a demanding game.

chicken4thewin

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

My 760 AMP! does just fine, thank you.