Sign in with
Your question

HP Compaq nc6320 - 104-Unsupported wireless network device detected. System Halted. Remove device and restart.

Last response: in Windows Vista
April 9, 2014 9:04:34 AM

Laptop: HP Compaq nc6320
This laptop was not having a wireless card installed in it.
I bought a used wireless card from ebay which is originally from a DELL Latitude D430 model (wireless card: ANATEL)

The moment I turn on the laptop after the HP logo, the following appears....
"104-Unsupported wireless network device detected.
System Halted. Remove device and restart."

I tried flashing the BIOS to an updated version for HP Compaq nc6320. Reconnected the card and still the same error message appears.
Any help would be highly appreciated.

More about : compaq nc6320 104 unsupported wireless network device detected system halted remove device restart

a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
April 9, 2014 12:05:48 PM

You can't use that wireless card on that laptop because of HP's built-in hardware checking technology which only permits approved internal devices to be used.

What you should have bought is an external wireless adapter which plugs in to a USB port. Latest ones are "nano" or mini size like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WNA3100M-Wireless-802-1...

You won't get the "unsupported device" problem with one of those because it's external.
April 9, 2014 9:53:02 PM

Phillip Corcoran said:
You can't use that wireless card on that laptop because of HP's built-in hardware checking technology which only permits approved internal devices to be used.

What you should have bought is an external wireless adapter which plugs in to a USB port. Latest ones are "nano" or mini size like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WNA3100M-Wireless-802-1...

You won't get the "unsupported device" problem with one of those because it's external.

+1

They aren't very expensive as well. The problem with the DELL Latitude D430 wireless card is that it doesn't match with the HP Compaq nc6320.

!