R9 270 in PCi Express 1.1 slot?

PeteBeanTown

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014
I'm pulling out my old computer that I haven't used for a few years so I can fool around with an Oculus rift i got off ebay. I use it on a laptop right now but as you would imagine the graphics are to slow (HD 8690m). The system has a gigabyte Ga-G31MX-S2 MB, I believe core 2 dual cpu, GTX 8800 and a 650 watt power supply.
Im thinking of swapping out the graphics card for a used R9 270.
With PCI express 1.1 how much performance do you think I will lose? I really don't want to spend to much on upgrading the PC (new MB,Ram,Graphics, CPU) so Im think the upgrading the graphics will have the biggest bang for the buck

The Letter Mu

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
I don't think you'd lose that much performance from the PCIe 1.1, since even now with 3.0 our GPU's never reach PCIe's limits. That CPU, though, might bottleneck the R9 270 depending on what games you're trying to play. What's the clock speed on it? Also, make sure that your PSU has the correct connectors for your R9 270!

Look here for a comparison between PCIe 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 on several different GPUs.

PeteBeanTown

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014

Thanks, ill check tonight, I quickly looked inside the case this morning and was amazed to find the 650Watt power supply. I know I bought a power supply, but it looks like a pretty nice one. I was into gaming back then, but things change fast and moved over to xbox 360 for a while, now I barely have time for that. But I think the Rift might pull me back in.

The MB supports up to a Core 2 Extreme QX9770 but the used prices on that CPU are high so not sure i'd upgrade. I'll have to boot her up tonight and check what's under the hood. Good time to head to the basement and have a beer too (Is this like ferrell working on the car in Old School? ha)

kasykid

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
so did the r9 270 work in that system after all? because i have the same motherboard and i want to know if the r7 260x will work