Working 6 Monitor Setup

chiggles

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014
I've read a lot of different threads on what does and does not work when it comes to a multi-monitor setup, so I thought I would share my setup that works well for me - in the hopes that it will help others who have similar requirements.

My setup is about 4 years old and is used for work & stock trading - not used for gaming:

Gigabyte GA-880GM
AMD Phenom II X4 955
8GB RAM
1TB SAMSUNG HD103SJ
400W PSU
ATI Radeon HD 5450 (PCI-e 2.0 x16)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (PCI-e 2.0 x1)
Win 7

I have 6 x 24" monitors. 2 are connected to integrated graphics (VGA & DVI-D), 2 connected to HD5450 (VGA & DVI-D) and 2 connected to GT610 (VGA & HDMI).

Contrary to what I have read elsewhere, I have not had any issues with using ATI/NVIDIA cards together. And my 400W PSU seems to be coping ok.

Right now I'm simultaneously running 2 browsers (with 10+ tabs open in each), skype, TweetDeck, Equity Feed, Interactive Brokers TWS with charting software, MS Outlook, Word/Excel, FileZilla, Fireworks CS6. I have several anti-spyware/malware/virus programs as well as a few other programs running in background.

Also use UltraMon for task bar across all screens.

At this stage, the only thing I might add is a SSD (which I wanted to get before I had a multi-monitor setup), and a 600W PSU (although not sure if that's going to be needed).

There you have it, hope that helps someone out there with a similar situation to me.