This company tells me "Video card is deteriorating" .... Is this some BS trick or what?

marka47

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Hey guys, I wanted to run this by you and see if this company is trying to bone me or not.

So the story is: I sent a laptop in to this company called Ztronics, the online quote said they would give me 400 bucks for it. With a broken battery they said they would give me 350. I accepted and then sent it in.

I get an E-Mail saying:

"Hello,

Our technicians have had the chance to review your system. They have confirmed that the battery is in fact defective. They have also noticed that the video cards Frame rates are running sluggish. This is a sign of the video card deteriorating. At this time we can only offer a total of 275.00 for the system. Please advise if you wish to accept this amount.

If you do not wish to accept this amount. We will return the laptop, Thank you. Please note fee's may apply for returns with insurance. Thank you."

Now I've been building PCs for a while, and I've never seen a video card "deteriorate" and slowly lose FPS and die off.

Either it dies instantly, blue screens a bunch, or artifacts show up and then it dies soon after.

And as I remember the PC was fine when I sent it in, I'm not sure what they are talking about. What do you guys think? Is the guy at the company just trying to screw me out of their original quote or is what they say legit?

Is there anything I can do? Like request the benchmark they used to determine the video card is "deteriorating"?

Thanks alot guys.

UPDATE: Can the fact that the laptop has no battery.... only running on the charger be a reason for sluggish FPS? Or is that hogwash? Thanks again!

UltraMudkip

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
This is definitely some marketing scam. A video card can't exactly "deteriorate". Low Fps can be caused by many different things. A graphics card doesn't just lose fps over time (if it did that would be the bane of my existence). Depends on what they tested it on, like send them a game or something that you had good experience playing and ask them to review that. Your graphics card just may not be suitable for some of the newer games. The fact that it's running off a charger is complete b.s if anything, the charger would provide a more suitable power to power the laptop, making the graphics card work maybe a little better, a little. Here's one trick you can try to maybe force them into giving you the original 350. Send it in to a different company. See if they say differently. If they do, tell Ztronics that what they are suggesting is b.s and ask for your original quote.

Hope I filled you in on at least some information! :)

Deuce65

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
It's a straight scam. Offer too good to be true price for old computer, get person to send it in, then once they have it change to a lowball figure, or charge you fees to send it back. Probably not much you can do if you signed anything that said they were okay. Maybe pay the fee on a CC and then issue a fraud charge back. Not sure if that will work though.

marka47

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Do I have no choice but to take their lowball offer? I've already blew 40 bucks to ship the damn thing to them.....

Should I ask for their "benchmarks" in an attempt to catch them in their scam?

For now I'd say be careful with the company "Ztronics", very shady.

UltraMudkip

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

I agree they are shady. Never heard of them. Maybe you should send your laptop to a better company, thats better known. Don't trust this company. I have been straight up scammed before, and it is extremely sneaky how they do it.

And there is your problem^
In all seriousness though, thats simply how they do it, you can spend the 40 to get it back, or try to argue it with them in hopes of the price (which they likely wont honor)