Monitor get black lines and looks fuzzy when I play games.

sgtkeebler

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2014
Hi, I have a GeForce gtx 760 and my psu is a 700w I was reading the psu and it says 50a -12, 600w. My monitor is 10 years old, but it is a HD monitor. Whenever I play a game the screen gets these black lines all over the screen like it's tearing. Even when I exit the game the desktop still is shaky with black horizontal lines. Please help I just built my pc, and finally got the gpu in :( to add to it. The parts where there are words in the game like chat boxes it gets really fuzzy, and when I got back to my desktop the icons start flickering. It's not bad to where I don't want to play games but it just looks horrible

Solution
Given the age of your monitor and that you are unable to see the lines in the screenshot would point to either a bad cable, or your monitor is starting to fail. What connections do you have available? If non of those work I would just look into buying a new monitor. Not sure what kind you would like there are TN panels which is what most gamers use because of their speed, there is IPS which people who like watching lots of movies, video/photo editors like, and then their is VA which is decent color and speed wise but I personally haven't used them. I personally use a PLS panel monitor because I think it suits my needs best but it can be very expensive. You could get something like a TN 120hz monitor from asus for about $190 bucks or a...

sgtkeebler

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2014
Yea when I was playing I was trying to get a pic and it looks normal on camera screen. When I was looking at the monitor it said 60hz and the res is pretty low. I don't know much about monitors

gumbykid

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
By pic do you mean screenshot? If so then it has to be a physical issue with the screen, because the image itself has no issues.

If you tried taking a picture with a camera and it didn't show the lines then...that's just weird.

sgtkeebler

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2014

How do I take a screen shot in windows 8? sorry I have taken a class on windows and I know they mentioned it but I don't think I was paying attention, because I just took it with my phone camera.

sgtkeebler

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2014

Actually I just did that and the lines didn't even show in the screenshot

do you think it could just be my monitor if it isn't showing up in pictures?

lfkfkfkffs

Admirable
Given the age of your monitor and that you are unable to see the lines in the screenshot would point to either a bad cable, or your monitor is starting to fail. What connections do you have available? If non of those work I would just look into buying a new monitor. Not sure what kind you would like there are TN panels which is what most gamers use because of their speed, there is IPS which people who like watching lots of movies, video/photo editors like, and then their is VA which is decent color and speed wise but I personally haven't used them. I personally use a PLS panel monitor because I think it suits my needs best but it can be very expensive. You could get something like a TN 120hz monitor from asus for about $190 bucks or a 3D 144hz gaming monitor from asus for about $270 which isn't a bad deal

Solution

Yes those symptoms are almost certainly your monitor. You can get a standard HD flat screen really cheaply these days. There are also much better screens about like lfk was saying depending on how much you want to spend.

From the sounds of it you've got your moneys worth out of the screen though!

sgtkeebler

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2014

Plays nice. Yea I asked my friend that works for intel and he said the same exact thing or that my monitors refresh rate is to slow! I am only using a Dvi port. I pulled it off my old monitor. And that cable is just as old as my monitor. Sorry I thought screenshot posted, but you can't see anything besides my game anyways. Do you know if a two year old 720p tv hooked up through an hdmi cable would be good, and the resolution won't be to low? It's 32in 720p. I'm strapped on cash for two paychecks otherwise I would buy a monitor right away. Thanks for your help you shall get best answer vote!

The hd tv should work fine over hdmi and you'll even get sound.

720p at 32in is going to be a bit rough if your sitting up close, but it'll look better than your black fuzzy lines for sure. I'd suggest trying it as you already have the tv (note you might need to manually change the input source for your tv if nothing comes up at first).