Triple Graphic Card setup

KnIeLL

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
Good afternoon,
I've been asking myself the following thing and I was hoping some of you might be able to help me out! :)

Alright so I got 5 monitors, which I want to hook up using 3 graphics cards. I'm using 2 different types of graphics cards. (2x Club 3D Radeon HD 5450 and 1x Club 3D Radeon HD 7750)
I was wondering if it would be possible to hook 2 monitors to each HD 5450 and finally 1 larger screen to the HD 7750. Should I consider using CrossfireX or SLI? (My motherboard should support both).

Let me give you a brief summary of my specs:
MoBo: ASRock 990FX Extreme3
CPU: AMD FX-4350
GPU: 2x Club 3D Radeon HD 5450 and 1x Club 3D Radeon HD 7750
PSU: 650W
RAM: 8GB DDR3 (2x 4GB)

I'll be using the 4 monitors for daily stuff (nothing graphically intense, such as web browsing, mailing, office, etc). The 5th screen will be hooked up on the better GPU to handle the media side (gaming, movies, ...)

Will these work together? Do I need SLI/CrossFireX?
Hopefully you guys can help me out a bit with this 'problem'! :)

Thanks for your help!

bluehowell

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
You cannot use 5450's or a 7750 in crossfire as they do not have crossfire connectors on the top, also you can only crossfire between the same GPU. If you want a large multi monitor set-up you will have to get a much better graphics card. Those cards are super budget, they were never intended to be used with more than 1 screen

KnIeLL

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014

Thanks for the quick response.
A) Might it be possible to use the graphics cards together without using crossfire?
B) What if I connect 1 monitor to each GPU (so 3 monitors and no crossfire), will that work or will the GPU's not be recognized by the computer?

KnIeLL

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014

Would it be able to work if I don't use Crossfire?

bluehowell

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
You can not mix and match graphics cards in a system and expect them to work. The system will only recognize one graphics card. How can you afford 5 monitors and 990FX motherboard but only a 5450 graphics card? Your only option to using 5 monitors is to buy better grpahics cards. What inputs do the monitors have? as that could also dictate whether it is possible at all.

KnIeLL

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014

2 monitors have only VGA-input, the other 3 have HDMI and VGA inputs. I wonder why you say my graphics cards are bad. The HD 5450 both have 2GB and the other has 4GB. I know they aren't the best graphics cards, but iI thought they would be capable of doing daily things such as web browsing etc. I also have 2 VGA to DVI-I adapters so I can connect the VGA's to the DVI-I ports on the GPU's.

What I want to accomplish is 4 screens hooked up using the VGA (2 normal VGA and 2 with adapter) and the 5th screen will be hooked up using HDMI.

@bluehowell: You don't think it's possible to hook up 5 monitors using these 3 graphics cards?

MalakiArtook

Honorable
Mar 5, 2014

Why do you say that? ive never done it personalty but Ive read many times about people using lessor card as for physx or people using a nvidia and a radeon...