Looking for a good keyboard

Rasputini

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
Hello Tom's Hardware,

I'm looking to get a new keyboard but I'm not too sure what to get. I play games, but don't consider myself a gamer, I quite a bit of typing and media controls would be awesome. I've had my eye on the Corsair Vengeance K70 series. I have a Corsair Vengeance M65 mouse and love it. I thought I might get a corresponding keyboard. They a little on the expensive side so I wanted to hear some options before I commit to one. Recommendations?

Rasputini

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
I'm pretty open to suggestions. I've never had a mechanical keyboard before. I'm not totally committed to the K70. Though the blue back light go with my mouse and case (blue mouse and fan light). I'll check out the Microsoft sidewinder too.

Rasputini

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
Eh, don't really have a set budget. I'd say the $129.99 (plus ridiculous Canadian taxes and shipping) for the K70 is as high as I'm willing to go. But even then, I'm a little reserved on spending that much. Sidewinder looks pretty sweet though.

tmacg55

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823162029

I myself am a pc gamer who never touched a mechanical keyboard up until this year, and have to say ever since getting a mechanical keyboard, I can type far more comfortably, faster, and accurately. The keys, even during game play like my FPS games are more satisfying and responsive. I recommend the one in the first link only because people tend to like back lights and it is quite affordable compared to the competition, but I currently use a CMStorm QuickFire Rapid with brown cherry switches. I recommend brown Cherry MX switches regardless of the mechanical keyboard you decide on because they have a good medium of all the switches combined with tactility and moderate noise control.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129005

Rasputini

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
I've heard nothing but good things about mechanical keyboards. I'm not overly familiar with the difference between the red, brown, or blue switches. I'll look into the brown switches.

tmacg55

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
Well to put it straight and simple because like you, I was a little fuzzy about the differences of brown, blue, and red. I originally bought red switches on my first board and found it be good for gaming, but not efficient for typing because all Cherry MX switches actuate mid travel, and red does not give you any feedback or bump letting you know when the register actually happened until you hit rock bottom. Brown switches will give you a light bump that give you enough feedback letting you know, you can stop pressing the key, making it easier to type because you are not constantly bottoming out every letter like you would do on a membrane keyboard. Blue switches are a more pronounced version of Brown, and are known as the "typing switch". This switch requires 50g of pressure to press, while brown and red only require 45g. But blues have an audible click when the key has actuated which can either please you, or annoy you and those around you :) .

Rasputini

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
Nice! Thanks for the clarification. Brown definitely sounds like the way to go. I don't want too loud a click and I do need to do quite a bit of typing. I'm still kind of leaning towards the K70, but it's nice to know that I should get the brown switches. Now to justify the $130. Sigh.

tmacg55

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
well, using browns without bottoming out is no louder than a regular membrane keyboard, not as quiet as a chiclet laptop keyboard though. haha.

These little guys help with noise on mechanical keyboards which are pretty popular for people who want to quiet down their mech keyboards. -http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-rubber-o-ring-switch-dampeners-125pcs.html#ad-image-0

TRENDING THREADS