Slow Boot Up in Windows 8.1

Syakir Yang Tuntas

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Hi,

Ive running Windows 8.1 (clean install) since its introduction. No issue so far.

But last week, ive changed motherboard from Gigabyte to Asus (AMD FM2+). I then proceeded to install the Windows 8.1 motherboard driver (CD). After that, my pc boot up very, very slow in minutes.

Please somebody help what is causing this slow down. Thank you.

I take it you didn't re-install Windows after changing your board? Most times you will get away with it, but on this occasion there's probably one driver not loading properly. You may find it by using the Clean Boot method, and it's possible that Refresh might solve the problem, but be prepared to either clean install or Reset to fix.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

drakegod84

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014

drakegod84

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
There could be many factors causing this problem, one being the amount of ram you have + the amount of space you have on your SSD or HD. If none of those seem to be a factor for your config, then run this check through. Your build sounds just like mine let me guess FM2 A10 68k? and ASUS F2 A85V-pro?

1. ASUS boards have switches located on their boards one of these configure EPU systems. EPU is one of those stupid EFO-BIOS options that runs environmentally friendly and less power settings. Make sure you do an up todate bios-flash firstly! Then be sure that switch is on the off setting find it in your manual and I believe you can also turn off this setting in the EFO-BIOS advanced settings, make sure to do this as well.

2. set your EFO-bios settings in TURBO, use the Bios direct button on your board.

3. Reset your power settings on the OS. I run windows 7 64x ultimate but i assume the power and tweak options are very similar to one another. Watch the Craig Chamberlin faster 7 series on youtube and follow through every valid step for your system, but as the series suggests this is for Windows 7, idk how much of this will be useful besides the hardware upgrade tips, but it's worth a try.

4. install AMD CCC if you haven't already, idk if your a noob, i'm not trying to be mean but some people who have high end systems sometimes don't even know about this amd wizard. So, since i don't know that you're a noob or not I'm going to throw a bunch of info at ya just for help sake ok. So right click your desktop screen and you'll see it at the very top. look down the tabs to the left and locate the performance tab then click on cpu overdrive. cpu overdrive has a cpu auto-overclock program located within it. With my build I'm able to perform a 6.2ghz overclock! Functionally this overclock is useless and can only be performed with an incredible water cooled radiator, but I'm able to sustain 4.7ghz overclocked with most 3d applications, note if you play skyrim you can't go over a 4.5323ghz overclock without screwing stuff up in game. This percises setting is only achievable via ASUS AI Suit II.exe. This is a Wizard program that came with your board, let it do a turbo auto-overclock after you let CCC do it's overclock or plug in this number into the multiplyer. note: It's better to do an auto-overclock and let the wizard determine how far to go, it won't go any further than the ccc overclock so make sure the ccc setting always exceeds the AI Suit setting, then scale down.

The advice below are also good tips for a quicker start up time, always make sure to follow protocol step by step and always backup and update drives. Good Luck!