Money is not an object, but. . .

RichardC63

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
I've gotten lazy and bought off the shelf name brand PC's the last few years. It's time to upgrade and I am just not very happy with my choices in the name brand market. Time to build my own again.

I am looking at a DIY SuperCombo from Newegg.

Includes: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz Eight Core, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX MB, XFX R9 280X 3GB, AMD 8GB RAM DDR3 1866, ASUS 12X BD-R, Western Digital Black 1TB HDD, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, XFX 850W Gold PSU, Antec Kuhler 650 Cooler, XFX Type

I like the grouping of hardware, but if I buy it, I am going to boost the RAM to 32GB and install a pair of 1TB SSD's and skip a mechanical hard drive altogether.

I'll be running a Linux variant (haven't decided which flavor yet) as well as at least one VM guest OS.

I'll be doing a combination of activities including some gaming, but mostly a combo of development work and regular MS Office kinds of things.

Does this look like a good build or should I start over?

RichardC63

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
I'm open to suggestions. Price is truly not a concern, but at the same time I don't want to go crazy building a system that is so overpowered I will never utilize it's full potential.