Gaming PC Build < $900 - Please Review!

stabadus

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
Hey guys, this is my first build ever. Just to give a little background, I only game occasionally but wanted to build something that could both handle games at decent frame rates but also serve as an everyday computer for my family and I without raising the electricity bill through the roof. Tried to stay within $800 initially but ended up going just slightly over.

Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3pKQd

Processor: Intel i5 4670k Quad Core 3.4Ghz
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive1: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Hard Drive2: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000RE Wired Standard Keyboard

Total: ~$900 after tax, shipping, and mail in rebates

Please let me know what you think - what you like or what you would change!
Thanks!

Solution
Looks good! I would always advise getting a larger PSU just cause its often only £10 more for the extra power which gives you the option for a dual GPU setup. I have the z77 version of the motherboard you are getting and it is awesome! The only thing I would advise is to get a specific CPU cooler for the motherboard as they are really good overclocking motherboards!
Just some advice :)

maurelie

Honorable
Hi,
-You can get i 5 4430, it is $180 i believe, since you wan't to keep electricity bills down, no need for unlocked processor.
-GTX 750Ti is decent GPU, but don't expect too much
-Also get another PSU. At the moment you can get XFX 550w for $49, which is a steal for such good PSU

huskersforever

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Need a better video card. I would go no lower than r9 270 or gtx 760. Build the rest of your components around that.

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
Looks good! I would always advise getting a larger PSU just cause its often only £10 more for the extra power which gives you the option for a dual GPU setup. I have the z77 version of the motherboard you are getting and it is awesome! The only thing I would advise is to get a specific CPU cooler for the motherboard as they are really good overclocking motherboards!
Just some advice :)

Solution

wearezebras

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/ i know they put these hard drives under extreme conditions still segate had the highest failure rate

reubenno

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012

Yeah Seagate isn't the most reliable brand