Help me chose a mobo (Have questions about fans too)!

n3krO

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Hello, I'm building a mid-high end computer and i want it to be well cooled (specially because i live in a quite hot city, but also because i want to be able to overclock in the future).

I'll buy an i5 4670k so i'll need a Z87 mobo (LGA 1550). First i looked at a Asrock Fatality Killer but then i started reading the specs and i noticed that the CPU fans connectors were 1x4pin and 1x3pin and he chasis fans were 1x4pin and 2x3pin and then was also an extra psu fan 3pin connector.

However, i'll be using a Corsair H110 (I was actually looking into going for Noctua NH-D14 but i found it quite big and my case will have a window on the side - i want it to be pretty :p)

Corsair H110 fans are 4 pin and so it'd be better to have 2 CPU_Fan connectors with 4 pin.

So what mobo should i get taking that into consideration? (please note that my case has 2 usb3 connetors in the front)

I'll also have 5 fans with 3 pin, can i connect those to my psu when i run out of CHA_Fan connectors? (Corsair RM850)?

Grippinq

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
Asus Z87-A, and CM Hyper 212-EVO. Surprisingly, more and more people (including myself) have been able to push out highers table OC's with air cooling solutions as opposed to closed liquid loops.. just my take on it though.
And the Z87-A has I think 4 4-pin headers for fans. :)
You WILL NOT be disappointed whatsoever. :) Take my word.

The Motherboard you picked out is fine. You only need one 4 pin header for the CPU cooler, be it Air or Water. You are probably thinking you have multiple connectors. You only have one for that.

n3krO

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014

AFAIK each fan has a connetor and H110 comes with 2x140mm fans.

Ahhh. I haven't worked with water cooling and was wondering abut the multiple fans on the radiator and how that was handled. Come to think of it, My ASUS Z87 - Pro Does have two 4 pin CPU headers ( one is an auxillary ).

n3krO

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014

You mean this?

http://www.pccomponentes.com/asus_z87_pro__v_edition_.html

Also, another question, do 3 pin fans work as good in 3 pin headers as in 4 pin? I wonder because i was told 4 pin headers work in pulses....

So would it be ok to connect the 3 pin pump connector to a 4 pin header?

Is there any disvantage of connecting the fans directly to the psu? I mean, the ones that come with 3 pin connetors :p

corsair_rm850_850w_80_plus_gold_modular_1.jpg

No, this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131979 I don't know what the difference is between the Pro and Pro V. That last picture, looks like the Back of a Modular Power supply. Don't what that is for as the fansd plung inot headers on the Motherboard. I have plugged in 3 pin case fan to a four pin header and Vice versa ( Four pin fan on a 3 pin header ) with no problems. With 4 pins, you have a controller in the BiOS.

n3krO

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014

I suppose those headers are for when there are no more headers availiable in the motherboard. I mean, in my PC right now my backcase fan is connected directly to the psu because my mobo doesn't have more than 3 headers (1 for cpu, 1 for chasis and 1 for psu, ZZZZ).

I also wonder why does the psu require us to connect a cable to power its own fan, maybe for us to be able to monitor it?