asus motherboard will not recognize my gtx 780..please help

DemSec

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
I am trying to make my graphics card to be recognized by my motherboard. I go into the BIOS and it shows for my PCIe slot, there is nothing there. I have an EVGA Geforce GTX 780 Superclocked. I even uninstalled the onboard graphics and still, it doesn't recognize my card. The box says minimum PSU 600W, I have a Corsair RM series 750W modular. I updated the motherboard drivers to the latest settings. The 6-pin and (6+2)-pin power cords are properly installed on my graphics card as well. The fans on the graphics card are on as well. I try to install the video drivers for the gtx 780 but the load screen says it can't detect compatible hardware so it won't install them. The Dual Link DVI-D is also plugged into my card and I get no signal. I am really lost and have been at this for about 18 hours now and I am stumped. Someone please help me. Thank you in advance.

Asus Maximus VI Hero
intel i7-4770k
G Skill sniper 16GB 2400
Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Corsair RM series 750W modular
Cooler Master Hyper T4
Antec 900

DemSec

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014

yes the fans are running, but the system still won't detect the card itself, even in the bios. should I push the graphics card in a little harder? I don't want to break anything

DemSec

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014

It is in that slot, its the PCIe slot closest to the CPU

DemSec

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014

that's the thing though, I don't have any other card to try it with. this is my first build and I have to admit I am a little frustrated. I plugged the card in, it should work. At least, that's my view when buying something new. I really hope the card isn't defective because I ordered it from Amazon and it will take forever to get a new replacement. I chose this week because I am on spring break

DemSec

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014

it was a flaw with my motherboard, I actually didn't have it all the way in the PCI 3.0 slot because it was too small. I guess when they manufactured it they messed up. I just slipped it into the PCI 2.0 slot and everything worked fine. I looked up the performance difference on several forums and websites between 3.0 and 2.0 and the performance drop was negligible. Try the 2.0 slot, your motherboard may actually have the same annoying flaw that is present in my motherboard.

rmartin215

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
I can't install an EVGA 780 card in an asus mobo in a P182 Antec case because the display ports on the card don't match the case openings.

Am I sunk?