Looking for some opinions/suggestions for gaming build before I purchase

chonger

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/3qvVf
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/3qvVf/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/3qvVf/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.00 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($83.01 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($96.24 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Memory Express)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($129.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($131.25 @ DirectCanada)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1383.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-12 15:30 EDT-0400)

This is what I am looking at getting. Anyone have any suggestions or comments before I buy all the parts? Also I am a bit unsure of what I want to use for cooling so some help there guys would be appreciated. I do intend to get another GTX770 down the road so I want to make sure I have sufficient cooling and power to do so. Thanks in advance!!!

Solution
everything you picked out looks like it should work.

a few minor comments:

-personally i'd go for one of the asus motherboards
-unless you plan on overclocking you dont need 1866 ram
-i would get the asus directcu II or gigabyte windforce models of gpu but the dual fan evga isnt bad per se
-i would suggest the corsair 750d over the phantom.

but these are just recommendations based on my preferences and products i've used. the build as you have it will work.
everything you picked out looks like it should work.

a few minor comments:

-personally i'd go for one of the asus motherboards
-unless you plan on overclocking you dont need 1866 ram
-i would get the asus directcu II or gigabyte windforce models of gpu but the dual fan evga isnt bad per se
-i would suggest the corsair 750d over the phantom.

but these are just recommendations based on my preferences and products i've used. the build as you have it will work.

Solution

chonger

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

-the 1866 is only $3 more than the 1600 and I do plan on overclocking eventually
-Is the Asus Maximus VI Hero worth the extra $50? I don't see it.
why suggest those models of GPU over the EVGA? What makes them better?
Also will I be able to SLI two 770's with that PSU?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
An 850w will sli 770's with no worries and the HX series is one of Corsairs best.
EVGA has a tendency to use reference pcb boards to cut costs on the cheaper cards and use the acx cooler as a sales gimmick. The acx is a much better cooler than prior version but its like putting a killer paint job on an old car without first fixing the dents. Asus, Gigabyte use custom boards (better components, better power phasing = better OC) and have similar if not better acoustics and cooling.

-if the 1866 is only $3 more than i say go for it. its cas9 stuff anyways so even if you did not plan on overclocking you might be able to knock the timings down to cas8 which could definitely be of benefit. having faster ram isnt going to hurt.

-if you plan on overclocking and/or using the extra features it provides then perhaps. if you dont then probably not. i'm personally running a high end asus board and i love it since it has all the features i need even though i didnt need it :). plus theres something to say about the ROG boards and aesthetics. currently asus is one of the preferred first choices for motherboards as well but that doesnt mean you need to go with it. purely optional and your choice.

-i personally love evga and have used them for a long time (i'm running an evga gtx470 right now) however they really are right down the middle in terms of cooling and performance (stock). perhaps the quietest and best cooling card is the msi lightning however i've also heard of some issues with it and its not exactly cheap which push it out of the picture. the gigabyte windforce is the next best cooling card (which makes sense since it has 3 fans instead of 2) and it has good performance as well but its not the quietest of the bunch (but not by a really big margin). the asus model runs cool and quiet but not as fast as the others. generally its similar to the evga but i thought it had a tiny edge in features plus it looks much nicer than the rather cheap looking evga. as far as value is concerned the evga is perfectly fine but i myself think its not the only other option (i'm partial to the asus model myself) even though i do like evga products. again... not a requirement you are free to pick any of them.

-hx 850 and sli? it wont be a problem.