Gaming, Art, and Animation Desktop Setup Help

Vivaria

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014
I'm new to computers and I was wondering how well this would serve as a multi-purpose machine. It will primarily be used for digital art (in Photoshop, Flash and Paint Tool Sai primarily) and various games. I may also get into 3D rendering and video special effects down the line. I plan on doing some moderate overclocking as well as installing another graphics card. If anyone can recommend cheaper/better parts that would be fantastic (if possible, in a black and red color scheme.) Here's my current parts list:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K
MOTHERBOARD: MSI 787-G45
GPU: MSI GTX 770
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 2133
STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD Boot Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Storage Drive
PSU: Corsair RM 850
OPTICAL DRIVE: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS
COOLING: Corsair H100i
CASE: Corsair 650D

Solution
I can't find some of those that cheap but I think you can go 2 routes. The cheaper route without ocing: change cpu to e3, mobo to maybe a asrock fatality z87?, cooler to evo, and case to maybe a 400r? Or stay about the same budget and just change the mobo and case to get a i7 4770k.

pcuser1045

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
By the looks of it your more focused on the desktop design side of things than the gaming side. For that reason most modeling and design software is far more CPU based than GPU. Consider changing the I5 to an I7 and skimping a bit on the GPU as it will simply eat at your budget for a your desired setup. Not to say the GPU isn't important but one a little less expensive will do the job just as good as the one you plan on buying. CAD, Inventor, Vegas, Premiere, After Affects... They all deal more with CPU than GPU. If you got the cash though than just keep the GPU and upgrade the processor which will push you up a couple hundred but you will have a PC that should last as a high performance machine for a while. Good luck

Change to xeon e3-1230v3. It can't oc so you can drop to a cheaper cooler like a 212 evo. There should be better mobos that are cheaper than the g45. Depending on the price difference, just get lower speed ram as the higher speed really doesn't help. You could also get a cheaper case. I can't be too specific since you're missing some info but this should lower the price and increase or not affect performance.

What are the prices of the current parts? What country are you from?

Vivaria

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K $220
MOTHERBOARD: MSI 787-G45 $149
GPU: MSI GTX 770 $250
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 2133 $89
STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD Boot Drive $89
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Storage Drive $88
PSU: Corsair RM 850 $114
OPTICAL DRIVE: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS $79 (probably going to buy something a lot cheaper and add this in later)
COOLING: Corsair H100i $98
CASE: Corsair 650D $139
TOTAL: ~$1300

Most of the parts are coming from Newegg and Amazon and I'm in the US.

I can't find some of those that cheap but I think you can go 2 routes. The cheaper route without ocing: change cpu to e3, mobo to maybe a asrock fatality z87?, cooler to evo, and case to maybe a 400r? Or stay about the same budget and just change the mobo and case to get a i7 4770k.

Solution

Vivaria

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014

Thanks for helping out :) I think I'll go the i7 overclock route