Best Monitor for Gaming. ASUS VG248QE or BenQ XL2420Z?

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
I am looking for a new monitor for gaming, I play many types of games but mostly BF4 and other FPS titles. After doing allot of research I have narrowed down my choices to the following two monitors. The ASUS VG248QE, or BenQ XL2420Z. there are things I like about both of them but I am leaning more towards the ASUS VG248QE.

It is hard to tell what monitor is the better choice, some sites make the BenQ sound better and others put the ASUS on top. Both of these will be a huge upgrade from my current 60hz budget monitor. I just want to make sure I am getting the best bang for my buck.

Solution
A good question is this: Do you have a PC that can reliably push out 120 FPS throughout the entire run of a game?

If you can't then spending on a new, high end monitor is absolutely not worth the money for you. The reason why those monitors you mention are 'better' (an extremely relative term in this arena) is because of their high refresh rates. If you can't push out at least 120 FPS then you will not see any difference between the two. A monitor can only display what the GPU sends to it. If the GPU is only sending 50 frames then the monitor can only display 50 frames.

So be very certain that you want to make the investment here before you take the plunge. A monitor is essentially the last thing you should look to to improve the...

LostAlone

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
A good question is this: Do you have a PC that can reliably push out 120 FPS throughout the entire run of a game?

If you can't then spending on a new, high end monitor is absolutely not worth the money for you. The reason why those monitors you mention are 'better' (an extremely relative term in this arena) is because of their high refresh rates. If you can't push out at least 120 FPS then you will not see any difference between the two. A monitor can only display what the GPU sends to it. If the GPU is only sending 50 frames then the monitor can only display 50 frames.

So be very certain that you want to make the investment here before you take the plunge. A monitor is essentially the last thing you should look to to improve the quality of your gaming experience. The developers have certainly done some leg work to try and change that, but they are still bound to your systems as to what results you can get. Certainly for me, and for most people who have money worries, it'd be a lot wiser to invest the money into your system rather than into the monitor.

Solution

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
My current system setup is:
Asus P9X79 LE
I7 3820 3.6GHz
Asetek 550LC Liquid Cooling (120mm Fan)
16Gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2400
850W AZZA Dynamo
AMD HD 7970, I will be replacing the 7970 with EVGA GTX 780Ti Dual Classified