What should I learn next?

johnnyb_0

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
Good morning everyone,

I am in my 4th year in IT. I recently got a job as a junior network technician at a quickly growing IT support company.. There are currently 5 network technicians on staff. I got into the industry by getting my A+ and Network+ certs. I got a job at a local school doing on-site support, just basic PC and network troubleshooting while escalating larger issues to the school's IT support company. I was there for two years. During that time I got my Security+ cert, along with my MCITP: Windows 7. I know the logical way to go would be to continue on and get my Server cert from Microsoft, but I'm also tempted to try to master a technology that other's in the office don't have much experience with. I know none of them work with Linux, but would it be worth it to learn it if we don't recommend it to our clients? Anyone have any suggestions on something outside the box that I could learn? I prefer to stay away from programming.

Ishmael_Sheldon

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
I agree with Kap, that last sentence hit me hard as well. If you are dealing with mostly Network and server side issues you may consider learning, at least mastering the basics, a language such as PHP just to give you some background in server-side programming.