Best graphics card for a low-mid range desktop

TheBlackDog

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
Hey everyone,
I've been wanting to get a new graphics card for my desktop ever since the nvidia gt 9500 crapped out on me. I've been looking around, but theres so many to choose from! Im not expecting anything magnificent, just something that will allow my desktop to run some decent graphics, and something thats compatible with it. Also, hoping not more than $100, like I said, nothing magnificent. Desktop Specs:

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3
Intel Core 2 CPU E7400 @ 2.80ghz
3.23 (Actually 4 gig in there) GB of ram
Realtek HD audio output
Direct X 9.0c
301 GB HDD

If you need me to share any other specs, just ask. Im also using a 1440x900 monitor. Before the GT 9500 crapped out on me, I was using it and running command and conquer 3 on high. This computer was a beast back then, and Im really hoping I can restore it to that title!

Thanks,
TheBlackDog

Avocade

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
Where is the low mid range desktop?! Just messing with you. Unfortunately aside from what you already had or maybe a few steps above your CPU will begin to bottleneck the GPU. The CPU is very low end now its less than you would really find in most pre-built family oriented PC's. I'd save my money and do a ground up build but like i said maybe get what you already had or maybe a step or two above that mark.

TheBlackDog

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014

Ok, thanks for the input. I was wondering that. Im going to get my friends dad to look at the desktop and see what it might be capable of running, and what we could do to it. I might grab a 9800 gt, which are around $20, and are just a step up from the 9500. Yes, Id like to get windows 7 as well, as that would be able to utilize the ram better and manage the computer better. My local tech guy says the desktop is capable of running win 7, and theres nein chance of me getting win 8. Im going to do a full on build later on, in a few years perhaps. Its not really worth it though right now to do a build, and we have 2 laptops, one with 8 gig of ram, i7 and amd radeon 7670m graphics. I use that a lot for the latest games. I just want the desktop to be more useful than it is, I feel its got potential. Cost my parents $2300 in '09 when we got it, and they gave it to me when they got a new laptop and my shitty desktop crapped out on me. When the graphics card crapped out, I was so annoyed. Its also my personal computer. One of the laptops is mine, but thats intertwined with the school, so its not all mine, and I dont have admin on it. You can see my point. And you could call it a Very low range desktop if ya want ;)

A GT 630 or a GTX 750 TI would be the best options.
The GT 630 for low cost (will still perform better than your old card) or the GTX 750 TI for running games at higher settings.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130792
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024

Or you could go in the middle more and get a stock GTX 750.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125503

Also, the system requirements of Windows 8 are almost exactly the same as Windows 7. I'm not sure the local tech guys knows what he's talking about.

TheBlackDog

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014

Thanks for the input. No no no, I meant I hate windows 8, windows 7 is much better in my opinion ;)

Oh. Heheh. I'm staying with Windows 7 as well. DX12 is the only draw I can think of for Windows 8 or 8.1, and with that little incentive I'll just wait for Windows 9, which is supposed to be more like Windows 7.

TheBlackDog

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014

Yea, im going to wait for windows 9 as well. Its supposed to fix what a piece of crap windows 8 was. Sure, windows 8 has better hardware management and can support higher directx and stuff, but windows 7 is just as good.