Looking for some opinions on some AMD parts?

The Kasafist

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Not that I will be buying them personally but simply wanted some input on them.
I was wondering how you guys feel about the FX-9590 and the MSI Radeon R9 280X 6GB?
Please let's all be nice and share our thoughts I just want to see what everyone's take is on the two parts most helpful if you physically own them too just cause I have more appreciation for input for those who have tried certain parts before judging them but otherwise anyone else's input is also welcome! :bounce:

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
The FX 9590 is a waste of time and money IMO, better off getting a 8350/8320 and getting a really nice cpu cooler and clocking it to the same level.

The R9 280x is a great card, but the 6gb version is only worth it if you plan to Crossfire with another and run a resolution higher than 1080p - The single GPU doesnt have enough power to make good use of 6Gb of vram, and 3gb is more than enough for 1080p.

The Kasafist

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

That's exactly how I was feeling about got a friend looking into an AMD build figured I would ask around first before he went witht latest and turn out not to be the greatest I figure if he saved a little cash here and there it would benefit him. Kool so the FX-8350 was a personal favorite had I gone AMD I have another friend who has one and and he loves it. Good to know AMD released a CPU that didnt perform too much better but hey don't all these manufacturers do this lately LOL?! Anyhow thanks for your input RobCrezz! :bounce:

Actually since you mentioned a single GPU in the 280X isnt enough to utilize the 6GB VRAM what about the Titan Black is that GPU enough to handle its 6GB VRAM? Now thay I plan to snatch one but I like to be in the know!

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Well, the 9590 is simply a overclocked 8350, so why pay more when the 8350 is unlocked ;)

Even a Titan black is a far more powerful GPU, but even there 6gb will hardly get utilized with just one (hence which the refererence 780 Ti only comes with 3gb). The extra vram is mainly when your going to high resolutions and using SLI or crossfire where the vram doesnt stack with the card, so 2x 6gb cards still = 6gb usable vram.

The Kasafist

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Yes I am aware that SLI and Crossfire do not stack the VRAM anyhow that makes sense Sli or Crossfire to have enough GPU power to utilize all the VRAM a single card possesses. Thanks RobCrezz!