Upgrade Info: Gaming PC

RazorJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2014
Looking for some upgrades for my PC on a bit of a budget of around $150 CDN.

At the moment I've got an AMX Phenom X4 at 2.8GHz with 4 gigs of DDR3. a GeForce GT 430 video card with 1gig of DDR3, Running a 450watt PSU with Win7 Prem 64bit as my OS. I use a 36" TV at 1920x1080 as my primary monitor and a 17" as a secondary. Wonder if just going to the 17" secondary would help at all also.

It runs most games on low to medium rather well but I wouldn't mind a little more pep from it. A lot of people say it's not worth the money and just buy a new one but sadly I don't have that sort of cash on me

The two ideas I had were a GeForce GTX 650 with 2gigs of DDR5 but wasn't sure if that would be an issue as the memory in my PC is DDR3 and an increase from 4 to 8 gigs of memory as most of the time it seems to be around 90-100%.

Any tips or suggestions would be great, keep in mind I know building a new PC is the best idea but I just don't have the money for it right now.

RazorJ

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2014

Well I know enough to find the parts and install them and such but have no idea about compatibility or if these changes would even make that much of a difference in such an old rig to even be worth it.

I would imagine the 650 Ti would be a fairly large upgrade but is the GDDR5 memory an issue as my current video card only has GDDR3.

And with the memory would it be better to buy all 8 gigs or try and match another 4 to my current memory?