Just bought an SSD for a Fangbook

JBroyles24

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
Hey guys, long time first time.. I purchased this SSD today:

Crucial M500 240GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT240M500SSD1

To go with my Fangbook Evo hx7-150. I have the mounting kit that came with the computer, and I think it has the second bay.

My question is there anything I need to do to prep my system for this? And also once I plug in the SSD can I clone the HDD since both are technically connected. Thanks a lot!

If everything fits physically, the only thing you need to do is check AHCI mode. And tell us what version of Windows you have; did I miss that?
For an SSD to be used efficiently, the disk controller needs to be in AHCI mode. You will be able to see this in BIOS; let us know if you need help. If the mode is AHCI that's fine; if it's ATA compatibility you have to tweak your OS to expect AHCI, shut down, change the controller, and reboot.

Assuming that both disks can be active (in the machine and on the motherboard controller) at the same time, you should be able to boot cloning software from a DVD or thumb drive and do the clone. Another detail or two like the machine's model so that we can look up the specs and we can be more specific.

Yep, it does take a secondary hard drive, so you can have two in there at the same time. This would work.

A couple of comments:
First, as long as you don't mess up the original drive, you are unlikely to brick the system. Just put the original drive back and boot from it.
Second, an external image backup goes a long way to ensuring that even if you do mess up both drives you can restore to a running state.

Have you looked at the BIOS for the ports mode yet?

?? Why remove battery? Is the battery in the drive bay? How will it work without? Or is there a second battery occupying that space? I'm better with desktop hardware, and laptop hardware is so custom that the answer usually depends on the model. Don't know.

JBroyles24

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
Oh I'm not sure... I just assumed you removed the battery when doing this to ensure power was off. Talking out of my a$$ honestly.