Building My First Gaming PC

Girts_Pirts

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Hey, guys!

So this would be my first PC building experience.
I have read a LOT of articles/reviews/benchmarks about every component, but still - I need your opinion/thoughts, because I need to be sure.

So here is the PC-->

MOTHERBOARD: Asus Z87 PRO

PSU: CORSAIR RM1000 1000W 80+ Gold Modular PS

CPU: Intel® Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz 8MB LGA1150 BX80646I74770K

VGA: Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R9 290 4GB GDDR5 PCIE 11227-00-40G

RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 PC19200 CL11 XyperX Beast KIT OF 2 KHX24C11T3K2/16X

SSD: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series 256GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s MZ-7PD256BW

HDD: WD Red 3TB SATA 3.5" IntelliPower/64MB (WD30EFRX)

CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL

CPU COOLER: CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H100I INTEL/AMD

Why so big PSU? Bacause after a year or so--> gona put another R9 290 in for CrossfireX.
And definitely gona OC CPU.

So what do you think? Do I need to change something? And if Yes, then Why?

Nickeroo

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
WOW! That is actually a really good list!! GOOD JOB! Also.. nice job picking the RM power supply.. ITS A GOOD ONE!!

One thing I would change is the Motherboard.. Don't get me wrong.. THAT IS A GREAT MOBO!! But I would strongly advise you to get this one!
ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z8

Other than that, everything else looks GREAT! And let me say that the h100i is AMAZING for OVERCLOCKING!!!!

You defiantly did you research right!!!

GOOD LUCK!

-NICK

Girts_Pirts

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

Thanks, dude.

Only one thing--> You wrote that you strongly recommend ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO, but did't say why. So how/why it is better than Asus Z87 Pro in your opinion? Why I should go for it?

Nickeroo

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014

YES! The main reason I said to go for it is because I have had much experience with it.. I own it in both my rigs and all my cousins use the board as well.

Second.. Is that it is part of the ROG series which is deigned for gaming and it is also designed for overclocking!

Other Info: When I built my rig.. I was also trying to decide between the Asus Pro and the Asus Hero. And I went with the HERO! Many people recommend it! ITS A GREAT BOARD!!!

Also.. Something I forgot to say..

You don't need the i7 4770K for gaming! If you are ONLY gaming!! They the i7 is a waste of money! But if you plan on doing other things like editing and stuff go for it.. AND if you have the money to spend.. GO FOR IT!

But if you do wanna save some money.. DO THIS ONE!!
Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150

--------------------------------

And one more thing!

You don't need 16GB of RAM if you are gaming! GO WITH 8GB.. But again if you have the money.. 16GB is the obvious choice!

Niko_boy

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
well cant really give much but both are just good mobos. Asus Maximum is a gamer of republic mobo that it comes in classification of their series especially for gaming class mobos.
You will get best out of any of them. I like the design of Asus Maximum more though..

You seem to have open budget tho. As 16GB and a i7 isnt really needed just for gaming. However video editing and some high class rendering you can get good benifit out of it.
Nice build anyway.

Girts_Pirts

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

Yes--> Video editing for my GO PRO HERO 3+ BLACK EDITION <--- this is what i forgot to mention. So yeah--> video editing is also included in my "What I am going To use This PC for" list.

And you just put me in a dilemma. :D

---Because Asus Pro has inbuilt Wifi (I don't have ethernet cable in my room and won't have it in near future, and also don't want to buy extra PCIe wifi receiver with antennas.)

---And also Asus Pro Color scheme maches the VGA

But on the other hand - color scheme- for reason "Why to chose this over that" ?
Ok.
I think I will listen to you and just stick to Maximu Hero VI and get an USB WIFI stick. :)

Niko_boy

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
ye there is no reason to switch for due to a color difference tho was just my personal opinion.

Well i think going for external WiFi would be good too.

Latest posts