Which build is better? ($1500 budget)

tdreilloc

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2014
I created a thread a few days ago and thought I was ready to commit. After doing some more searching and mixing and matching I've got two builds which I'm gonna run by you guys. I would like the option of buying another 780 in the future for SLI, hence the large PSU. Speaking of which, I've gotten mixed answers on what the requirement was for wattage, which is why I threw in the 850w, can someone clear that up?

Build 1:

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Window
PSU: XFX 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular
CPU: i5-4670k
GPU: MSI Gaming gtx 780
Motherboard: MSI Gaming z87-G45
Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2x4GB 1866Mhz

Total: $1488

Build 2:

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Might have to get a cheaper one)
PSU: XFX 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular
CPU: i5-4670k
GPU: Asus GTX 780
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Total: $1546

I don't use pcpartspicker because it's never accurate for me. It's probably the ridiculous taxes in Quebec.

I am planning on ordering everything off of newegg to reduce the hassle of shipping so if you have suggestions or budgets cuts please refer to that website for whichever part you are recommending.

Lastly, and admittedly, I created build 2 for the Asus motherboard and GPU. I have a weird sentiment that my GPU and motherboard should match, hence the windowed case. So I'd like to keep the motherboard, GPU and processor on both builds. I'm open to suggestions for anything else.

Thanks a lot and sorry for the long post!

STACKS ON DECK

Distinguished
This one is good and powerfull . just swap the card to 780
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3s7yt
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3s7yt/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3s7yt/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($222.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($157.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1218.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-15 15:51 EDT-0400)

tdreilloc

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2014
Well the reason I don't have a 650w PSU (which I did have in both builds earlier) was because of the option of SLI. Also, I would like the GPU and Motherboard to match. Because I'm stylish like that...

I also specified that I would like to buy everything off of newegg to reduce any hassle and that build is not $1218 when that is done. Actually, whenever I use partspicker I usually have to add around $200 dollars to the build when I go by individual vendors due to shipping and taxes.

Seeing as how they will both perform identically well and support SLI identically well, I would get the one that is $60 cheaper lol Bot builds are solid, though.

850w is ideal for dual 780s, and that build will run you around 550w-575w at full load. Build looks great to me :)

Of te two, I like #2, probably because of the motherboard you chose. Everything else is good. :)

tdreilloc

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2014
Yeah the ROG motherboard put a little sparkle in my eye to be honest.. I'm leaning towards that. Another factor for that is, however unjustified it may be, all the MSI complaints I've read.

I know that I shouldn't do that and I've read statistics about RMAs and all vendors have RMA percentages that are pretty close to one another but I just seem to see many more positive reviews about Asus.

MSI's higher-end boards have no problems other than the occasional dud (which like you said happens to every brand).

In this setup, the Hero will do nothing to increase performance, whereas the MSI board has a feature that will actually increase performance of the MSI Gaming card you put in it. Granted, performance will still be essentially identical, but still lol

tdreilloc

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2014
Yeah, I figured that, when building a rig that is high end like this one, they'll pretty much all perform fantastically. I'll probably end up doing some more research on both motherboard and gpu combinations and make a decision at the end of the month.

Unless more people have suggestions for me change things! But I've gone off tomshardware recommendations pretty much entirely which is probably why I'm only getting answers that are saying it's a great build haha. Gotta love this forum.

tdreilloc

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2014
Oh and I'm pretty sure the G45 has the killer network card in place. Does the Hero come with a WiFi card? Probably won't need it as I'll just reposition my routers but my layout is pretty crappy in my apartment.

If it doesn't, does anyone have a good suggestion?

tdreilloc

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2014
Well thanks everyone for the help. I'm glad I got so many comments in approval of both builds. Although that will probably make it harder in the end!

I'm leaning towards the ASUS build. Thanks again guys.

No problem, good luck with whatever you get :)

The Hero is probably the best quality board you'll find that isn't stupid expensive. Would definitely be a great choice :) I was just saying the MSI since the build overall is $60 less, but that's your call lol

There have been enough complaints that I usually don't recommend an MSI board. I don't know about the matching GPU and MOBO though, Mine certainly doesn't ( ASUS MOBO and EVGA GPU ).