What drivers do i really need on a fresh install?

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Im wanting to install W8.1 on my new SSD and thought to ask everyone first to determine what drivers are really needed on a fresh install.

I really feel noobish asking this question but with the push to get rid of optical bays, optical drives and therefore optical driver discs, what drivers do i actually REALLY need to install as there are alot in the product download page and I really do hate bloatware/drivers/software i don't actually need.

Motherboard: Asus Z87 Sabertooth
Direct link to downloads page HERE

Which of these do i really need?
Chipset
-Management Engine Interface
-Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility
-Intel Chipset Driver
VGA --do i really need this, i have a GTX 780?
-Intel Graphics Accelerator Driver
LAN --but which one?
-Intel LAN Driver
-Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver
SATA
-Intel Smart Connect Technology Software
-Intel AHCI/RAID Driver Path
-Intel Rapid Storage Technology
-Asmedia SATA Controller --->(this was on W7, do i need this for W8.1?)

Sata: The newest version. And if you have a SSD for rapid start with a boot HDD, the newest rapid start.

Chipset: The newest chipset amd management.

Audio: The one newest.

LAN: The newest version.

Afterwards look in device manager to see if there are any yellow caution markers on any devices. This indicates drivers needed or drivers not installed correctly.

Jaydn

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014

So i have ended up installing every driver and utility.. (asrock z77 extreme 4 (http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/index.us.asp?cat=Download&os=Win764))

How do i uninstall drivers and utilities? and also is it worth getting any utilities?

You can uninstall drivers thru device manager by right-clicking on devices. Updating drivers will be enough. You can try out the utilities. I have found that they are mostly garbage. Check them out and they can be deleted thru Control Panel--> Uninstall a Program.