Status
Not open for further replies.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Garbage.

Battery quality will be utter crap.
It's dimensions and weight are from 3-4 years ago
Standard HDD versus SSD and Flash memory!? Are you serious. Laptops are getting 400-1200 MB/s

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
a 4k screen that small is pure marketing gimmick. that and the fact that you couldn't even play a game with native 4k with that type of setup.

Are you going to suggest 1920x1080 on a 15.6 inch screen is a marketing gimick too? The difference is noticable.

nthreem

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
considering that gpu won't be able to perform at 4k, this system seems like a waste of time/money.

Your definition of "perform" is most likely different than the market that Toshiba is trying to capture. The fact that Toshiba is packaging the laptop with Photoshop Lightroom tells me that they're aiming for the photographers looking for a mobile solution for editing. You don't need tremendous GPU power to display high resolution images. As another reader commented, even Macbooks can rely on integrated graphics solutions.

I would love more resolution than 1920x1080 on a laptop. I admit that Windows applications still need to resolve some scaling issues for ultra HD screens. But these specs definitely interest me and my needs.

mowston

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Wow $1500 isn't that bad of a price for the specs. Just toss in a SSD if you like, but I mean the screen, the CPU, and the GPU...not bad at all.

considering that gpu won't be able to perform at 4k, this system seems like a waste of time/money.

I couldn't find any benchmarks for the R9 M265X. How do you know it won't perform at 4K?

hannibal

Distinguished
A laptop is easily fast enough for running 4K screen. No problem in there. Only those people who plan to play action games on those laptops will do better with 1080p screen, or they should use 1080p resolution when playing with laptop that has 4K screen. The gamers are very minor market segment in computer users. And when the most popular game ever is minesweeper or Angry birds or something similar, this will be fast enough!

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
A laptop is easily fast enough for running 4K screen. No problem in there. Only those people who plan to play action games on those laptops will do better with 1080p screen, or they should use 1080p resolution when playing with laptop that has 4K screen. The gamers are very minor market segment in computer users. And when the most popular game ever is minesweeper or Angry birds or something similar, this will be fast enough!
it is a gaming laptop... look at the gpu

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
fact is with a screen res that high and screen size that small there will be scaling issues. not everything scales properly. there will be tiny things you cant read unless you put your nose to your screen

that is why it is a bit ridiculous

brettms71

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I have a 15'6 laptop with a 3k screen and 780M (MSI GT60). You do notice the difference, I do game at 3k, and it looks beautiful, crisp and so much better compared to my old screen at 1920x1080. Battery life is....wait I don't care! Scaling wise on my desktop i scale up to 150% for icons etc and that works well under windows 8. My only issue is Steam games actually. Steam scales on the desktop screen, but when im in game it seems to forget the scaling and shows at the native 3k resolution, so is a bit tiny to read. But not with all games it seems. Anyway, would want to see performance on that video card, but i think laptops with higher res screens are worth it, and some games really benefit from clarity at higher resolutions.

mordorrson

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
I have a 15'6 laptop with a 3k screen and 780M (MSI GT60). You do notice the difference, I do game at 3k, and it looks beautiful, crisp and so much better compared to my old screen at 1920x1080. Battery life is....wait I don't care! Scaling wise on my desktop i scale up to 150% for icons etc and that works well under windows 8. My only issue is Steam games actually. Steam scales on the desktop screen, but when im in game it seems to forget the scaling and shows at the native 3k resolution, so is a bit tiny to read. But not with all games it seems. Anyway, would want to see performance on that video card, but i think laptops with higher res screens are worth it, and some games really benefit from clarity at higher resolutions.
I just love how everyone keeps putting down their own opinions and reacting to those while no one listens to the guy that actually has a higher-res laptop. That said, the laptop Toshiba has could use an SSD and a better card if you want to use it for gaming. Other than that I see no issues

Grindayzier

Honorable
Apr 10, 2014
1st This is not a Gaming Laptop
2nd for gaming on 4k you need not less than SLI or Crossfire high end nvidia/ATI card
3rd CPU is crap for gaming
4th this laptop is meant for people who want to watch media and have fun with good resolution

pinkpurple

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
@Onus: totally agreed! There's no need for subscriptions that let you pay year after year. And, I go even further: there's no need for the use of Microsoft Office, at least not for most private users and smaller companies. Me as example, I use SoftMaker Office Professional instead which is seamlessly compatible to all Word, Excel, and PowerPoint formats and feature-wise at the same top level. But I only paid $39 for an upgrade version that includes 3 licences, free technical support, word processor TextMaker, spreadsheet PlanMaker, presentation author Presentations, mail nclient eM Client 6 Professional, macro language BasicMaker. One payment, only 39 bucks, three licenses - instead of $70 each year for one license.

Status
Not open for further replies.