Best CPU for Dell Dimension E521.

setha

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
Hi,

I am looking to purchase best CPU for Dell Dimension E521.
My processor is currently AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ x 2
I have 4 Gb of RAM installed already.
My power supply is 600w.

I hope someone can guide me.

Thanks so much.

What is your budget?

How strong GPU should be, is it just for Linux or you have to do some heavy staff in Linux.

CPU you can get only from eBay, I am sure there are a lot of choices. Do you want to upgrade CPU to the max possible?

What is your RAM, size?

I would split this thread in 2, one for CPU upgrade, which is not related to Linux, and the other one for video card only. The second I would call like this to attract most attention - Best Linux Video Card for *** help (insert your purpose in ***). This way you would not get anything silly, just important things.

I can easily help you with CPU upgrade. Just give me your answers for CPU and RAM.

setha

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
Hi,

I installed a maximum of 4 GB of RAM on this PC. Yes, I would love to upgrade CPU to the max possible. I heard it might be very expensive to look for outdated CPU, but I would love to try looking for it on Ebay as well, just in case.
I know Linux is not the best for gaming, but that is what my new graphics card would be for.

Please do not worry about the budget :) As long as it is in the maximum setting, I would be happy, so if someone can give me some suggestion.
I know some basic hardware upgrade, but I have no idea how to find anything at max setting. I know how to match graphics card to my PC, but not so good at how to find the maximum ones.

Please help me with couple options.

I have 1 confirmation for AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ to work, eBay http://www.ebay.com/sch/CPUs-Processors-/164/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=15&_nkw=AMD+Athlon+64+X2+6400%2B I can not link to specific one on eBay, it is against Toms policy, group is OK.

IMG_2337.JPG

This is your box.

It going to be long project, because you would have to improvise on cooling as well, so 1 post at the time. Much more to follow. I need to check my archives for cooling solutions, will take lots of time, stay put.

It is not 65 watt, but 89 watt http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%206000%2B%20-%20ADA6000IAA6CZ%20%28ADA6000CZBOX%29.html
Anyway it is better than 125 watt. This is your choice, less power less heat, but about 10-15% slower.

What is next I can help you with?

Since you edited your original post (I seen your new post about GPU and Linux), I am a bit confused about your last request.

How can I help you now, please be specific, I don't mind, I just don't want to guess.

setha

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
My CPU is on the way. I will have to wait until it delivered. I will post more questions here soon.

Thanks so much.

becksy513

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014

4Gb is not the maximum amount of ram for your e521

setha

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
Thanks for all your help. Also, my new case is on the way too. I want to change the PC case because it is too dusty. I will ask more questions, once all the parts are in.

Thank you very much.