Help me understand, please.(multi seat and VMwares)

Samuel Alexander

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Hey how are ya and thanks for taking time for me.

Im trying to research and learn not only what to put in my first build. Ive been all over google but what im lacking is some good ole experience. ( can refer to my other post for the full spectrum of what im trying to achieve. - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2107628/understand.html )

There are so many options i have no idea what the best would be to do. I could run linux with multiseat, i could run linux with a windows virtual machine, i could use linux as a foundation and run multiple virtual machines, or i could just use softxpand duo in windows.

but umm, what would be the best long term solution for like a futuristic(pssh now if windows would let us use more cursors. but hey, maybe thats why im trying to find a reason to totally convert.)

What im currently working with is a fx 9370, an r7 260x and a r7 240. Have experimented with Vms but cannot figure out how to get the pesky screen full size with no super thick black borders all the way around. Id also love to find some insight into the VM optimal settings and if i could get better performance out of a similarly priced intel chip or nvidia graphics cards.

Thank you guys and have a good day.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
It looks like you want to have two or three simultaneous users on the same computer.

To do that you want your main computer setup as a server and the other users need to have a means of connecting which means a network switch and a thin client configured to boot from the network server. The thin client can be an old beat up useless computer as long as it can still connect, run a screen, keyboard and mouse. It doesn't even need a hard drive and the processing power comes from the server. Unless you are doing graphic intensive utilizations most CPUs don't even break a sweat.

Edubuntu comes configured to do this out of the box because they figure it'd help teachers if they could have one computer to run them all. Saves money too. You can configure any of the others to do the same thing as well, search "thin client" and your preferred OS.

Now if your goal is two people two cursors, I have no idea how that could be done. You could install a LAN ready game on the server and you'd all see the same screen except each would have it's own cursor. There are also several programs (some in edubuntu) that allow one person to see the desktop of another and communicate directly, this is primarily for help purposes. A good one for sharing and discussing is openmeetings.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
If you're using virtual box and have hit right ctl +f for full screen and you still have black bars those are caused by windows or whatever not knowing what resolution the screen has,there is where you make the adjustment, not in virtual box.