I need help choosing an Intel processor and Motherboard

Nick Liddell

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
SORRY FOR THE WALL OF TEXT!

This is my very first PC build. Ever since I came out of the womb I had been interested in computers. I had been an Apple fan up until about a year ago, but since then I've realized that it makes more sense to use a windows/linux and android, and I have since then switched. I'm only 17 but I determine on taking my life into the computer and business field. I am very skilled with computers but not the best (I dont know any programming languages). With this build I am aiming at heightening my computer skills, learning a few languages, playing games at the highest possible detail, and doing video/audio/photo editing.

I need help choosing the best processor and motherboard for the computer I'm building. As far as I've been educated, Intel is the better choice correct? I am looking to spend up to $400-500 on the processor and $150 on the motherboard. What would be a good, no AMAZING combination for what I'm looking for. I'm going to buy the essentials at first (motherboard, processor, GPU, RAM, case, PSU, etc.) and build on it for years to come. I want a motherboard and processor that won't be out of date in 5 years. Would socket LGA 2011 be good for someone like me? I plan on buying multiple graphics cards and monitors.

Anyone that would be able to help me will be GREATLY appreciated!

STACKS ON DECK

Distinguished
this is something complicated like 500$ for CPU and 150$ for mobo . . no system today is able to take you 5 years . .technology is changing rapidly . .
the best you can get will be outdated within 3 years or so . .
so what you are planning now . . buying whole system or just board processor. ?

Well, with that budget, I would go with a 4930k. An Asrock X79 Extreme6 would be a good motherboard to compliment it. That is over your budget, but worth it (if by worth it you mean overkill). You won't notice much of a performance boost past a 4670k, but for your budget, there's no reason not to get the very best. It will be out of date in 5 years, though, it's called Moore's Law.