Dual CPU mobo with Windows

rollingthedeepdice

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Dear Forumers,

I have an ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS mobo with two Xeons in it.

Each has 16GB of memory.

Will Windows 8 automatically use both? Can it?

Any help much appreciated,

Nick.

Hi,

All versions of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 (including Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2) support between dozens and hundreds of logical processors. However, each edition is limited in the number of physical CPU sockets that it supports.

All versions of Windows 8 are limited to 2 physical sockets (which when using 8 core microprocessors with Hyperthreading results in 32 logical processors).

Standard and Datacenter editions of Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012R2 (analogues to Windows 8 and Windows 8.1) are limited to 64 sockets each.

For more information please see the following post on Microsoft Technet

http://blogs.technet.com/b/matthts/archive/2012/10/14/windows-server-sockets-logical-processors-symmetric-multi-threading.aspx

rollingthedeepdice

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
is there a way i can test to see if its working???
i'm suspicious they are not because i have 16GB of RAM next to each CPU (socket) but system in the control panel says i only have 16GB total.
device manager lists 24 "items" in the cpu section (i always get confused between cores/threads/processors/etc) so does this mean they are all working???

cheers

ps: off to google "cores/processors/threads/etc.)!!

leeb2013

Honorable

yes it does!

If you look at the Performance tab under Windows Task manager you will see the number of Sockets, Cores, and Threads listed as a sum of each.

If you have two physical sockets populated you will see the number 2 listed under "Sockets" in Task Manager.

rollingthedeepdice

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
pinhedd,

i looked at that link but it had no mention of windows 8.1, just server versions.

in the performance tab it says only 1 socket :( 6 cores :(

do i need to get windows 8.1 PRO?

I'm having a hard time finding an authoritative source on the number of CPU sockets and logical processors consumer editions of Windows 8/8.1 support. Most sources indicate 2 sockets for Windows 8/8.1 up to 32 logical processors, and 64 sockets for server versions up to 320 logical processors.

I would not at all be surprised if the number of physical sockets is limited to 1 on non-professional versions of Windows 8. A quick sanity check would be to load a Linux LiveCD and run 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' to see the number of installed logical processors. It won't tell you the number of populated sockets, but it will tell you the number of logical processors which should be twice what you see under Windows right now.

I'm assuming that you have at least two Xeon E5-2000 series microprocessors or above. Consumer versions of the LGA-2011 series microprocessors and non-compatible Xeon E5 series microprocessors (i7-3070x,i7-3960x,i7-3930k,i7-3820k,i7-4960x,i7-4930k,i7-4820k, and all Xeon E5-1000 series microprocessors) do not have the necessary number of active QPI links required to operate in a multi-socket environment.

rollingthedeepdice

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
ooooh. i was bricking myself there!!! thought I didnt have the proper processors... but its turns out i do:

2 x E5-2630V2

phew....

i found a upgrade to 8.1 pro for £37 on ebay... gunna fork out.... unless anyone knows different

thanks for your help....

Try the Linux LiveCD test first. If Linux doesn't pick up the logical processors from both sockets, then something else is terribly wrong.