Windows 8.1 Update Must Be Installed by May 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

anoldnewb

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
What about situations where applications need to be revalidated with the updates before release to production? Four weeks from announcing that the update is required to "no support" is a pretty short deadline for something you for which you received no prior notification.

Microsoft is so customer friendly!

Optimus_Toaster

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
I'll stick with 8.0 for now, 8.1 offered nothing to me but trouble.

Only time I see the modern ui screen is at startup - and even then it is blank and only show for a few seconds.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
What an arrogant company...

In translation...our Windows 8 sucks so bad and Windows 8 base is so fragmented between 8.0, 8.1 and 8.1 update 1 that we need to fix a mess asap by saying to people you must this and that.

JoBales

Honorable
Feb 20, 2014
I actually updated my Win 8.1 notebook with this update this morning. All went smoothly. I'd forgotten I'd used the same desktop and Start screen wallpaper. After rebooting I switched over to the Start Screen. With the new icons available to minimize an open window and the search and shutdown buttons on the Start screen, I was switching between the Desktop and Start screens and didn't feel it such a jarring experience now. I'm still personally prefer the desktop for the way I work with open applications and still hope that MS continues to improve the experience for the desktop user but I'm about to the point I'd consider upgrading my desktop to Win 8.1 with update (if it weren't such a bloody hassle to reinstall all the software and data files since I'd do a clean install and not just an upgrade).

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
WIn XP support ended after a decade. WIN 8.0 support ends after 2 Years. LOL
Win8 is still supported. Win8.1 won't be. Vista, 7 and 8 will continue to be supported. MS is dropping support for Win8.1 only a few months after release. As long as you didn't upgrade to from 8.0 to 8.1, you're not being forced to install "Update 1" to continue support.

SuckRaven

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
"Since Microsoft wants to ensure that customers benefit from the best support"

Since Microsoft wants to ensure that everyone has a good experience, we will take away your security updates unless you do EXACTLY as we say.

Brilliant.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Mikes are the best at screwing their own customers. Seriously after reading system *uck up cases after almost every update that comes after 8.0 i wonder if there is someone who is actually using 8.1 if he had 8.0 previously installed and how many.
My friend is Win8 user(because it was preinstalled on a laptop) after updates he experianced nothing but troubles and back to 8.0 Many companies have preinstalled way to say "**ck you" to metro crap. Sure it leaves you with ugly flat theme but atleast you ca use it.

unimatrixalpha

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Stay far, far away from Windows 8.1. I'm still on Windows 8 and it is a joke of an a OS. Never saw a reason to upgrade to 8.1. After this Microsoft ultimatum to force an upgrade and stating that future support will be stopped for a still new OS, I'll surely not upgrade to 8.1 and this new "update." Nice way to shove it to your customers, Microshaft.

bmwman91

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Not sure what the big deal is for most users (business users that have to validate updates excluded). I installed the update and no longer need to Alt+F4 out of the full-screen Metro applications. It's a much appreciated change. Win8.1 was an improvement on Win8 (it's what MS should have shipped in the first place), and Update 1 is just like a minor service pack that also fixes a few more small things in Win8.1.

I am not 100% sure, but I think that Update 1 changes some stuff in the built-in security software which is why you have to install it to continue getting security patches.

luissantos

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
What the hell are you guys on about? Seriously... this "complaining for the sake of complaining" is getting old.

"I have to install an update so I can install further updates. Screw you, evil MS!!"

Do you realize how incredibly stupid you sound?

It has ALWAYS worked like that. Back in the days of good old XP - which was a good OS, but lately has been raised to heights beyond it's merits so people can add strength to their moans about it's support being terminated - you were pretty much required to have SP2 or SP3 to receive further critical updates. Even software compatibility came into play.

We are talking about a FREE software update distributed through the regular channels (Windows Update), much in the same way that any other patch or update package has been distributed. Why wouldn't you want to install it to begin with?

omarz

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
And what about those machines where 8.0 run, 8.1 run, but 8.1updated doesn't due to the missing CPU instruction (Core2 Duos, Athlond 64 X2s, Core2 Quads, ...).
This is quite nonsense.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Still silly users giving advices like "don`t use, stay far away etc etc" without giving any real reason why to do that. And still the old guys crying about start menu.

Been using using 8.1 Update 1 with absolutely no problems at all and happy about it.

@omarz ... sadly those are old`ish CPUs ... and you want them to run the very latest hardware... if i had an Core 2 duo or Athlon 64 i wouldn`t install Win 8 anyway. Like you wouldn`t install XP on a 486 machine :p

alithegreat

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
I think this article is misleading about windows server 2012. I thought it had to be upgraded to R2 to get updates. There is no such information on Microsoft.

omarz

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014

Have you tried them or are you like the silly users you mentioned? Win8 runs REALLY fine on those CPUs!
The only problem is cutting support (security updates too!) during a minor update!
Leaving behind old CPUs is ok, I agree, but once you allow them, stick to it.
They should have introduced the requirement if that cpu instruction with 8.1.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
8.1 is a big step in the right direction, but if a simple free program like classic shell can make people happy, why not just give us the start menu? I can give someone who used XP a windows 8 machine with classic shell and they will know how to use it more or less. Also, we need an offline 8.1 installer.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
@omarz ... sadly those are old`ish CPUs ... and you want them to run the very latest hardware... if i had an Core 2 duo or Athlon 64 i wouldn`t install Win 8 anyway. Like you wouldn`t install XP on a 486 machine :p[/quote]

Actually, I was running the beta of Windows 8 on a netbook that I have that uses an Atom chip. Ran better than 7 did and close to XP's performance. New'ish computer, equivalent to old hardware. Only reason it isn't on there still is the resolution issue with 'metro' and switching to Lubuntu.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I just wanna make sure I got this right ... my mom's laptop came with Windows 8 so, she's fine, right? I've always been told to stay away from Windows 8.1, correct?

So, just stick with Win 8 and it'll continue to be supported? This whole Windows 8 is ok but, stay away from Win 8.1 can be very confusing for a lot of people ... I hope Microsoft understands that.

daveola

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
I had no problems with Windows 8 or 8.1. NONE!! on any of my machines. I cant believe how much complaining there is about a free update that will most definitely help you. In addition, if you think WinXP is better than Win 7, Win8, or 8.1 you area complete idiot or haven't used them.

fantom007

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
Microsoft is now giving until August for the update, but don't worry, it's not the end of the world if you don't install it automatically, there will still be manual ways of going about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.