Google's Project ARA: Build Your Own Phone by 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

swordrage

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Before it is successfull, the parts that are not swappable needs to be at a standard where no one complains, like a 1080p screen at 5 inches. The bandwidths for different modules needs to be at least 2 or 4 times the current best.

The main board should not be like a motherboard, but more like a set of pcie connection so that a generation lasts a few years just like "project christine" by razer in the modular desktop space.

Though for some reason it is being targeted at the mid budget market, I can see only super enthusiasts to ride on the wave.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/16/tech/mobile/google-project-ara/index.html?sr=sharebar_facebook

That article states that they will come in different sizes so you can pick the screen size you want.

In theory, it sounds like an awesome idea, if done properly. I'd love to be able to swap out a better camera, or better speakers, or whatever suits your needs for your phone. If they half-ass it though and only allow a few modules to be swapped out, then it will be lame.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
This could be a game changer. What I haven't heard a lot about, is swapping for different screen sizes. I would consider selling my N7 and N4, to get a single mobile device and have the ability to swap screens when I am at home. Would also love ability to swap out cameras depending on needs.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I like this idea. but a couple concerns:
Battery life? (my phone lasts 5 days)
Cost of the modules?

I still use an old flip phone or "feature phone" as they call it. I use my phone to make phone calls and to txt. thats it. The screen is WAY to small for web browsing or reading. The current smartphones arent much better -- They are bigger, but still ... web browsing on a 4-5 inch screen? nothankyou -- gimme my 15" laptop or 27" desktop.

Screen module, keyboard module, processor module. Done

tvieson

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
As neat as this sounds for phones. I think I'd rather see this in a tablet. Perhaps even a universal design that would allow interchanging of components with tablets and phones. As much as I like my Smart Phone, there are times I wish it was smaller with longer battery life.

As great as all these sync and cloud features are. It would save a lot of time and bandwidth if I could just take the storage of my phone and connect to a tablet. Use my phones modem to connect to the internet instead of finding an available WiFI or having a separate cell plan just for my tablet. The potential of this could be exponential. Imagine if you didn't have to pair your phone with a cars hands free system. You just plug your module into the car and bang you have everything at your disposal.

Things I hope they focus on is component improvements and replacements. It would certainly be nice to replace my battery or my screen if it goes bad. Swap out speakers and mic for better sounding or more reliable components.

Switching Cell carriers easily would also be nice. I've had great phones over the years that were only offered by one carrier. Not having to unlock a phone or buy a completely new phone simply because I changed carriers would be awesome.

flaxx

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
It's nice to see the Phone Bloks dream finally coming to life:
https://phonebloks.com
I wish Apple would do the same because Automatic Reference Counting (ARC) and Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) in Objective-C is far superior to the inefficient and flaky Java. I wish Android would just switch to using Objective-C as that would make porting easier for developers too (never mind all the performance gains). But anyway, I digress.

netmind

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
Nice idea about compatible blocks but, er, licensing suxx and neither really open, nor offers real freedom. So it's kinda fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.