Should I change my Major

Change Major or Stick with Programming

• Total voters
Hey TH community. I've been here for over 2 years now. Iv'e been out of the loop for a while and i'm easing back into things here. I graduated High School in 2012 and fall of 2012 I went off to college for a associates degree in Computer Programming. My College offers web development and Computer Information Technology. Web Development is easiest for me but I have been told getting a job in it will be very hard as most jobs are out sourced or every brother and mother can do it like cutting butter. I don't have interest in networking and barely passed the one class I had to take on it.

Bottom line: I can decide If I want to change my major from Computer Programming to CIT or If I am going to go along with sticking to my guns and try to complete the degree. CIT is a very broad field to go in from what I have been told. I always wanted to be a developer but.. I am happy with tinkering on machines. I have always enjoyed hands on with computers. Fixing them and getting them back running. I feel if I change my major to CIT then that's more where my focus will be in the field. Pay isn't as big of a concern for me as at this point I know anything I do in the IT field will pay good so its more about what I'm going to enjoy.

any advice is helpful

Jeff Kaos

Distinguished
I recently graduated from a university with a BS in Information Science and Technology with a general business minor after spending over 10 years in the Army as a combat medic. Thanks to the stalled economy finding work is hard regardless of you're education and it took me months of working temp jobs in office administration before I landed my current job building and repairing PC's for a medium sized company with "big time" customers like GE and Philips. I can only offer some advice here if you're interested in working in the technology field and whether or not you take it is your business. First off forget web design. It's the "journalism" of the new millennium. It's something anyone who wants to be creative can do without any raw artistic talent or ability. And it's not that hard to do. My degree covered web design over 3 or 4 courses and I feel like they were interesting but in the long run pretty useless. As an "if I knew then what I know now" moment I would've went into Management Information Systems. There's a lot of work (relatively speaking) in database management/programming/engineering. My best advice is to get as much experience/education as you can in programming; especially working with Visual Basic and Java. There were a lot doors closed to me after graduation for lack of programming knowledge. And keep in mind that outsourcing and competition have really devalued degrees and an Associates degree is not much better than a high school diploma. Hell a bachelors degree isn't that much better right now. And don't count on the IT field paying as well as you expect it to; again you can thank competition and the economy for that.