What do you think of this rig?

Oldwhpsian

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hey guys

So I've been given the option to get this rig, for quite a lot cheaper than retail value (-50%). It's through a connection I have in the hardware industry. No concerns over validity or ripoffs- I'm 100% certain. Here it goes:

Intel Core i7 4820k @3.7GHz
16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600MHz
Gigabyte X79-UD4 Motherboard
Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 780Ti OC 3GB

And those are the main specs, running MS Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

My main concern is that it's the older generation i7 (not Haswell) and as a result the Motherboard is older as well.

I'm no pro at this kind of thing, but I know this is a good PC. My question is will it last, and if it drops in performance over the years will a simple GPU swap solve the problem?

Oh and yes, this rig is supposed to tear up games on medium-high res on a 32" LCD

Thanks all :)

Edit: Forgot to add, also have a 3TB HDD and a 512GB SSD

Edit 2: Thanks for all the answers so far!! I have reached a fork road, and allas I am now looking to spot which PC will perform the best:

PC1: The above mentioned rig.

or

PC2: i7 4770K
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H Motherboard
Same RAM
Same GPU

Basically, will there be a performance difference between the haswell based system and the Ivy based system?

Both will be run on watercooling and a 750W PSU.

quasipredator

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2008
Yes you will not have any problems for the next few years. Most games do not utilize all 4 cores anyways so your pretty future proof on the Cpu. And you can always drop in a new GFX card in say 2 years or so. You would have a very solid PC. And 16gb of ram is more than plenty for a good long time!

numanator

Honorable
You will have no problems with that i7 and the gtx 780 ti. Honestly the gtx 780 ti is overkill for playing on a TV. Only thing left is to get a good quality power supply to power it all. I would get a 600-650w power supply made by seasonic, xfx (uses seasonic parts), antec high current gamer (hgc), corsair ax/hx/tx.

Also you will be playing at 1080p, max settings with that card/cpu setup easily.

Edit: also that CPU can be overclocked so if you find it struggling in about 5 years (I doubt you will have the slightest problem before that) you can add an aftermarket cooler and overclock it for more performance.

STACKS ON DECK

Distinguished
both systems are quiet nice and will last a little more then a couple of years cause technology rapidly changing . haswell is more towards power saving . otherwise both are nice . get which you get cheaper

Oldwhpsian

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Thanks guys!

So just to be clear, there's no real difference between the two systems, even if the cost is taken out of the equation?
Does the Haswell chip not have any edges over the Ivy-E?
And what about the fact that I'm running a X79 motherboard?
Also, does my ram currently being 2 sticks (2x8GB) lower the overall performance if I'm on the X79, because it supports quad channel?

Haha sorry, lots of questions!

Oldwhpsian

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
OK sorry guys, I realize I have been beating around the bush quite alot. It all comes down to this:

The current system I have sitting next to me:
- Ivy-E i7 4820K @3.7GHz
- Gigabyte X79-UD4 Motherboard
- 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz
- GTX 780Ti OC 3B
- 3TB HDD/512GB SSD
- 750W PSU

System 2:
- Haswell 4770K @3.5GHz
- Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H Motherboard
- 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz
- GTX 780Ti OC 3GB
- 3TB HDD/512GB SSD
- 750 Watt PSU

NOW, the bottom line: Which of these two system is better in performance and more desirable to have?

I have the 1st system right next to me but I can have the second by tomorrow for no extra cost, just have to take it in and swap them if need be.

Thanks guys :)

numanator

Honorable
I would just stick with the X79 build, those are some pretty awesome CPUs but you typically see the z87s being recommended due to price constraints (does not seem to be the case for you). As for the dual channel vs quad channel ram, if you put in 2 sticks (same speed, memory, etc) then it will run in dual channel and if you put in 4 sticks it will run in quad so no losses sustained from running 2 sticks on a board that supports quad.

Also make sure that you get a CPU cooler since the 4820k does not come with one.

Oldwhpsian

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Argh hahaha this is killing me! xD

I think this may be the deciding question;

Will getting the Haswell based rig increase the overall longevity of my machine? As I understand it the Ivy-E is the top LGA2011 range of processors. So basically, with a LGA1150 system, I'll be able to upgrade to Broadwell/Haswell-E/Broadwell-E if needed in the future, right?

But would such an upgrade even be needed?

First world problems ^^