780ti bottleneck? 120hz monitor 1440p

zqa20

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Hi got a sweet deal on a Evga sc acx and msi twin 4zr so im upping my psu two 850w. First question is. will my 3570k @4.2 bottleneck 780tis in sli?

Second question is....
Is there any 1440p 120hz monitors out? THANKS

Solution

Scribby usually posts in the forums when the next shipment is due to arrive. Your best bet is to pre-order one and wait for it to arrive and get shipped. That's what I did with the last three orders.

As for Diablo 3, don't sweat it. Trust me when I say the game plays at 2560 x 1440. I have been playing the game for almost 2 years at this resolution. Some folks in the forums claim that it is only upscaling to the higher resolution from 1920 x 1080, but it looks damn good regardless. I have played the game at both...

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Your CPU will not be the cause of any performance bottleneck.

As for 1440P monitors capable of 120Hz, there are several options:

1) Overlord X270OC 27" H-IPS LED 120HZ monitor
2) Yamakasi DS270 IPS SE 27" S-IPS LED 120Hz monitor
3) QNIX QX2710 Evolution II 27" S-IPS LED 120Hz monitor
4) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q (not available yet) --> 27" TN LED 144Hz G-Sync capable monitor

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
I would actually recommend both monitors! The Overlord X270OC is the perfect gaming monitor for any game and is capable of up to 120Hz. To achieve the higher clock, no special tools are required any longer. The refresh rates can be created using the Nvidia control panel or ATI Control Center interface. I use my X270OC to play both RTS and FPS games and have never had an issue using the higher overclock frequencies. On the other hand, the Asus monitor is for those FPS 'twitch' gamers that are more competitive and need every extra smidgen of advantage that a low response, high refresh rate 6-bit TN panel has to offer. Also, the Asus monitor will have the much coveted G-Sync technology that is awesome! I know because I own the Asus VG248QE G-Sync monitor (also purchased through Overlord) and love it! It really is a game changer in FPS games.

Ultimately, the choice is up to you and should be based on what kinds of games you play. Performance crown goes to the Asus G-Sync monitors, but the beauty crown goes to the Overlord H-IPS 8-bit panel for a superior color gamut and contrast ratio.

I wish you luck with your decision!

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

What are the advantages of g-sync? Is it just that it will prevent screen tearing in some situations? I've read about it a bit and all teh articles just keep saying that is syncs the refresh rate to the fps.

I have the VG248QE without g-sync, and I'm wondering what benefit it could possibly provide to me. The only reason I can think of is if for some reason I was able to get 200fps in BF4, I would see screen tearing (which isn't even possible).

zqa20

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Hmm, any clue when the asus monitor will come out. My 780tis will both come in two weeks. I don't really play fps on PC much, apart from stuff like borderlands 2. Hmmmm whata do lol. I'll stay away from korean monitors

zqa20

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
I'm more interested in beauty from the monitor. From what i read the overlord uses A and A- left over monitors. Will there be a big difference between the ISP and the high end TN pannel?

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

Go here for a full review of the G-Sync technology: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync

I can tell you right now that without a doubt, G-Sync really does work and is worth the investment IF you are a competitive FPS gamer. I don't think the extra $200 is worth it if you are just a casual gamer and rarely play FPS games at a competitive level. I still play a vast majority of my games on my Overlord H-IPS 27" 2560x1440 (WQHD) monitor. I hope this helps answer your questions.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

Overlord does not use left over monitors period. Scribby (website and business owner) uses premium A grade WQHD LG LED H-IPS panels and proprietary LG PCBs that allow for the pixel overclocking. I will have to say from my own experience, Overlord Computers quality control is outstanding. I own three of their monitors and of the three, only the first generation one has a dead pixel. The other two second-gen monitors (with redesiged bezel and stand) are pixel perfect and have no issues whatsoever. The Overlord monitors cost more than the competition, but also have a higher level of quality IMHO. To me, it's worth the extra cost. The one thing to note is that a 120Hz overclock is not guaranteed. Most of the monitors achieve 110 to 116Hz refresh rates. Of the three X270OC monitors I have, only one is capable of 120Hz. The other two can achieve 110Hz and 116Hz.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

Too bad, because you won't ever know what your missing! I absolutely love my Overlord Tempest monitors! And will I buy the new ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q G-Sync monitor when it's released - definitely! IMHO, there is no single best choice when it involves gaming monitors. That's why I have both :D

zqa20

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Thanks how much do overlord monitors cost. Also does OC on a monitor damage it, and does OC change the quality.
Another thing when you go from 1440p to 1080p does the screen go dodgey, as d3 and older game dont support 1440p

I tend to play cod,bf4 and games like that on xbox

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

Cost for a Overlord Tempest X270OC is $499 + S&H. No, overclocking will not damage the monitor, nor does it change the quality. I own three of them, and the first gen one is a year and half old now, has been overclocked since day one, and has no issues whatsover. You will know the limit to overclock your monitor once you start building the custom resolutions for it. Once you start to see lines in the display, just clock down 1Hz at a time until the lines disappear and that's it. 1920 x 1080 looks just fine on the monitor, albeit a bit less crisp as that is not the native resolution. Another option I have used in games where I have experienced frame rate drops due to lack of graphics power is 2560 x 1080. It actually looks damn good and the only thing you'll see a difference is there is a small black bar at the top and bottom of the screen, and everything else is rendered at the correct aspect ratio. And, yes 2560 x 1440 is fully supported in Diablo 3. Not sure where or who told you that WQHD resolutions aren't supported in D3. I've been playing D3 at WQHD resolutions since day one of release.

zqa20

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Guess, i'll take the leap of faith when they get more in stock. Do you know how often they restock?

Also, i was told by bliz customer service, that d3 is not designed for res over 1080. Id copy paste but on xb1

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

Scribby usually posts in the forums when the next shipment is due to arrive. Your best bet is to pre-order one and wait for it to arrive and get shipped. That's what I did with the last three orders.

As for Diablo 3, don't sweat it. Trust me when I say the game plays at 2560 x 1440. I have been playing the game for almost 2 years at this resolution. Some folks in the forums claim that it is only upscaling to the higher resolution from 1920 x 1080, but it looks damn good regardless. I have played the game at both resolutions and can say without a doubt the game looks awesome at 2560 x 1440. Every other game I play looks fantastic as well. BF4, Titanfall, CoD Ghosts, Planetside 2, Metro Last Light, Crysis 3, etc, all look great at 2560 x 1440. You will not regret your purchase. It is literally game changing. Once you go to WQHD, there is no looking back!

Solution

zqa20

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Im pretty anal when it comes to monitors, inperfections annoy the hell outa me, more now than ever due to me buying two ti's. After reading i hear mostly good things from buyers, So' i'll go with them