Need Help Removing The JW Player Virus

ShoryuSam

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Hello, so a pop-up keeps appearing on every other page.

This screenshot pretty much explains it.

I tried the solutions for the JW Player virus on this link, but to no avail due to the fact that there are no registry files that relate to the virus, and I don't even have the related extension in Firefox.

http://www.safebro.com/jw-player-virus-remove

My computer is a bit of a dinosaur and contains the following specs:

I currently run Windows XP, have a single core AM2 socket AMD 3800+ processor, a Radeon X1650 series video card, 3 gigs of ram, and two harddrives (a 250 gig hdd and an 80 gig harddrive)

I have a 400 watt psu from Rosewill on it as well.

Motherboard:

Asus M2V with a VIA K8T890 Chipset and a VIA VT8237A Chipset

Also, I have one additional question relating to video player usage. So, when I look at videos on Youtube, they work fine in full screen, but when they're windowed, they tend to studder and are unwatchable. Any ideas on why? I updated my flash player like always but am still wondering why this keeps occurring.

The player may be installed as a plug in on your web browser . If it is then uninstall that first .

If you are using internet explorer switch to firefox or chrome anyway .

AVAST antivirus has a free version . Install , update and run a boot scan

ShoryuSam

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

That's the thing, I ran Avast and it found nothing.

Malware Bytes found like 25 different things, and quarantined them, but I still get the same JW player pop up.

Do you think this is a Internet Explorer issue that carried over to Firefox for some reason? I ask this, because its not in any of the extensions or plugins menus within Firefox and its freaking me out 0_0

uninstall all your internet browsers, do what you can to fully uninstall all apps from internet explorer and return it to default, and use malware bytes and microsoft security essentials, and also download ccleaner.

my little cousin had that happen to her laptop and i fixed it.

i think if you just redownlaod internet explorer 11 and let it reinstall over itself it will purge out everything, though you will lose your bookmarks and stuff.

also get off the internet while your doing all this, unplug your wireless router, after you fully update all malware and mse and ccleaner though.

ShoryuSam

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah, I backed up my bookmarks via a .JSOD file, and wiped out everything from the previous installation of Firefox including plugins, etc.

I reinstalled Firefox with Ad block and its smooth sailing ;D. Even videos work in windowed mode without studdering so I am mega happy at this point.

It was probably the AudioTube or YouTubeVideo Helper plugins that did this to be honest.

I could always use external websites to rip audio when needed anyway (only did it for ringtones for games and stuff).

Thanks a bunch for the replies!