Is It Safe to Work in A Powered On Computer?

Jul 26, 2013
I figured the opinion forum would be best. Is it safe to work inside of a powered-on computer? I've never attempted it, and from what I've heard it's a definite no. But I'd like a professional insight as to whether or not modern systems really need to be powered off when inserting things like hard drive and connecting sealed power connectors. Also, if yes, will Windows detect a new device that's inserted without a reboot?

This is also to partially help me with troubleshooting a GPU I just brought home to use a replacement while mine is getting fixed. It'd help if I could pin-point which PCI slot is causing the problem, or if it's just the GPU itself.

Solution
you will want to have the power off before doing any internal work or you risk damaging components.

to test your pci slots you need to shut off then turn on each time. yes i know its a pain however thats how it must be done.

you will want to do it off or else you risk pc damage (or potentially giving yourself a shock)
It's best to turn it off as there is only one reason to have it powered on and working inside. That is to test voltages and amps from the PSU while under load but even then extreme caution is needed not to damage other parts.

Jul 26, 2013
Thanks guys. I've always shut down completely, switched off, unplugged and pressed the power button to get it completely powered down. I just didn't know if it was tech superstition because of old hardware or an actual thing regarding computer maintenance etiquette. I'd never try this without proper guidance or protection.

you will want to have the power off before doing any internal work or you risk damaging components.

to test your pci slots you need to shut off then turn on each time. yes i know its a pain however thats how it must be done.

you will want to do it off or else you risk pc damage (or potentially giving yourself a shock)

Solution

Jeff Kaos

Distinguished
Plugging and unplugging components in a running computer will probably cause a shutdown anyway and then cause something to get damaged. I learned that the hard way. Besides damaging components, which has been stated by others, most things you plug into a running computer won't be detected by the system until you reboot.