Question regarding Monitor compatibility for Nvidia surround in 7680x1080

Swanson

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
Hello Tom and friends,
This is my first post here, so if I forget anything, tell me and i'll add it to the question! I know for running 3 monitors in Nvidia surround, you usually want to have the exact same monitor, but I was curious as to if it was required. I currently have an LG 29EA73-P (http://), and was curious as to if I could add two add two additional, but different 2560x1080 monitors to my set up to run in surround, perhaps an ASUS 2560x1080.
Thanks in advance! :D

Solution
The response times being the same is just an added bonus, as that definitely doesn't factor in (still always a good thing to check though!).

Yes, I think you're all set. The resolution doesn't even have to be the same; I've seen some odd setups with monitors in portrait orientation either side of a normally oriented larger screen. Good luck with your extremely wide set up!

Damn_Rookie

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
Good question. I can't remember for certain, as I've always had all my screens running at 60hz, but I'd suspect you'd want them to be the same. The maximum refresh rate on your current screen is 60Hz, correct? The ASUS screens you're looking at, are they 60Hz too?

Swanson

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
They are! (Not that I could run games like Metro: LL in 7680x1080 at above 60 haha) So as long as resolution and size is the same, all should be well? I think they have the same GTG response time also.

Damn_Rookie

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
The response times being the same is just an added bonus, as that definitely doesn't factor in (still always a good thing to check though!).

Yes, I think you're all set. The resolution doesn't even have to be the same; I've seen some odd setups with monitors in portrait orientation either side of a normally oriented larger screen. Good luck with your extremely wide set up!

Solution

Swanson

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
Thanks! So, my 2560x1080 monitor could side between two 1920x1080 monitors, and i could game on that set up? That could be a more reasonable, $600 cheaper option!

Damn_Rookie

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
It's possible. The desktop will work fine, but I don't have any knowledge of how well gaming will work (it's a question of whether the games will support the odd resolution - many will, but I can't guarantee they all will). It might be worth either keeping this question open, or opening a new one, with the aim of finding someone with experience of gaming on a system with different sized monitors attached together (possibly googling might help you as well).