290x and A8-6600k too much for 450w

corecpu

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
I'm in the process of trying to change out a video card and motherboard and keep getting "no signal."

I tried it on VGA, HDMI, and DVI-D and none work. I tried on two monitors that had been tested and worked before. All the components work fine, except the motherboard and video card are new.

I checked that it was seated properly, had the surplus power needed from PSU, motherboard was connected properly, etc.

Could this be an issue of the 290 being underpowered? Or do I need to reset the CMOS?

I thought the 6600 had onboard graphics, but I never could get a signal from that. I had hoped maybe I could use that to get that to get a clean install, then from there install the drivers.
If you'll forgive a couple newbie questions:
1. Will onboard GPU work if the 290 is seated in the PCI slot?
2. Does using the onboard graphics entail connecting to the motherboard?

The mobo is a M4A78T-E, by the way. The Power supply is 450w Enermax.

Thanks in advance for any help.

It should work using the onboard graphics, you have the right APU and motherboard combination so try the system with the 290 removed.
Even a very high quality power supply will be pushed very hard with that configuration: The APU can draw close to 100 Watts and that power hungry R9 290X can eat 300Watts, and Enermax are not top tier makers so my first suggestion would be to replace it with something of around 600 Watt from: Antec, Corsair, EVGA, XFX, Silverstone, Rosewill Capstone, FSP or Seasonic.

corecpu

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Okay, I will try connecting to the motherboard with the GPU removed. But this has never worked for me in the past unfortunately.
Maybe it will this time, because when I tested it on one monitor it kept telling me "check video cable" when I plugged into the card, but trying the onboard it went into power saving mode. But I still had the GPU seated and hooked up so that's probably what messed it up.

My thoughts are that if anything its more likely the motherboard is bad. It is an older model and was bought at a bargain price. But the fans work, the LEDS are on, etc.

I am also gonna try the idea with the 600W PSU.

Thanks for the suggestions.

corecpu

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Tried some more things, unplugged internal hard drive (just to be sure), took out and replaced the battery, took out the GPU. Still no luck running off onboard graphics. Screen just goes into power saving mode. And this is an old monitor; it's not CRT, but it's VGA only. I think early 2000's.
My newer ASUS monitor just says no signal.

However, I'm confident it is not the card itself. I noticed two indicator lights on it that were green when it was plugged into PSU and red when I disconnected it. So apparently it knows when it is getting power.

That being said I'll wait for my 600w PSU to show up and see if that makes a difference. I tried an online calculator to see how much power I could need and it said 395w, but it didn't ask for a specific CPU. And I've hear that the 290x can draw up to 400w. But surely that's only when nearing a full load, right?