GPU running at PCIE 2.0 x4

PeterTechless

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Hello,
I have a problem, where my GPU, capable of running at PCIE3 x16, is running at extremely low bus interface instead, PCIE 2.0 x4 (under stress)
It hasn't affected my gaming much, but i'm curious why that is.

My GPU is in the PCIE 2.0 x16 slot, but according to GPU-Z and CCC it's only running at PCIE 2.0 x4 at maximum(I know my GPU can't run at PCIE3 in that slot, but even x4 is too low). I've searched the interwebs for an explanation, but i've found none yet.

Here's a pic of GPU-Z under stress load:
g7x.png

My specs are:
MOBO: Asrock H77 Pro4/mvp
GPU: Gigabyte AMD radeon HD7870
CPU: Intel I5-3470

PeterTechless

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
I'm not very good with BIOS.
CPU-Z is showing me Bios version is P1.60, checking the BIOS updates on Asrock website it shows me the latest version is 1.70, so not the latest, should i update and if yes, which one(Instant Flash, DOS or windows)?

Avocade

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
First off as Stack on the Deck pointed out there is a "?" next to the Info line stating its running at 4x. Please hover over that ? it will tell you why it is happening.

PeterTechless

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
The question mark is just an button for render test to put the GPU under stress, because some functions reduce the link speed & width to lower levels to conserve power when the card is idle. I used the same test in the picture above, when my GPU is idle, it even runs at PCI 1.1 x4. I've also tested the Bus interface in an actual game, so it can't be that the test is not putting enough load on it.

EDIT: Yeah, i just tried it again, when playing a game on full graphics, it still stays on PCIE 2.0 X4

PeterTechless

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
No, what, it's just an load on GPU and it's not normal if it shows PCIE 2.0 X4 in the PCIE 2.0 X16 slot under full load.
The problem is, if it's true that my GPU is REALLY running x4 instead of x16, i'm losing an decent amount of performance, so i want to clear this out. It's very worrying because even my CCC is showing that under the hardware tab:
30icd9d.png

PeterTechless

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
But, are you sure? Because this is the text that pops up next to GPU-Z window when i click it and it doesn't explain why CCC is showing me max x4 as well :

sc5k3k.png

STACKS ON DECK

Distinguished
yes . sure . . now in new technology hardware like haswell cpu and new GPU's and even hard drives tens to slow down there speed when not working at 20 to 30 % speed . . then speeds up when required so no issues

PeterTechless

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Yes, i'm aware of that, i've been telling you that with every post now, that that's what render test is for, it puts load on GPU and it still runs at X4, even at 100% power and Ati CCC is telling me max speed is x4 as well.

freefa11

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
Have you had any luck re your pci-e running at x4 and not x16. I even found it telling me the same in the bios. x16 capable but running at x4.
My games running ok just curious.