Installing 3 monitors with 2-way SLI enabled

klinikal773

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hey everyone, for my new set-up I'm looking to install three monitors on a system running 2 GTX 780ti's in SLI... my question is what cables should I use to do this and does it matter which cables I have running to each monitor? My plan is to have 2-way SLI enabled and have a DVI cable running from one card to the middle monitor, (the one which will be displaying my games), a DVI cable running from the second card to the left monitor, (the one where random applications will be displayed, i.e., Twitch, internet browser, Skype, Ventrillo will be displayed), and an HDMI cable running from the second card as well running to the third monitor, (the one where HD videos and/or movies will be displayed). Is this the optimal way to set up a triple monitor display on a 2-way SLI-enabled system?

P.S. On a side note, below I'm listing my potential build which I'm looking to buy within the next few days (whenever my tax return comes in). Any and all advice anyone has regarding the build such as personal experience you've had with any parts (whether good or bad) would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!! :)

Potential build:
Case - Thermaltake Level 10gt
Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Formula
CPU - Intel Core i7 4770k / Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler
RAM - 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum
Video cards - 2-way EVGA GTX 780ti SLI
Hard drive - Samsung 840 EVO SSD 1TB
Sound card - ASUS Xonar STX 7.1
Power supply - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200w
Monitors - Triple ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz
Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Ulimate
Mouse - Razer Naga Elite
Headset - Logitech G930
Speakers - Logitech Z906 500w 5.1

Solution
I have 2-card SLI and 3 monitors. I only game on one like you. I use the primay card for ALL three monitors though. I don't think you can plug any into the 2nd card if they are in SLI mode

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I have 2-card SLI and 3 monitors. I only game on one like you. I use the primay card for ALL three monitors though. I don't think you can plug any into the 2nd card if they are in SLI mode

Solution

klinikal773

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

• What cables do you use? And what video cards are you using?

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I have two 4GB 770's in SLI.

The gaming monitor is at 2560x1440 and I used the Display Port port.
The 2nd monitor I watch Youtube movies Netflix etc. at 1920x1080 and use the HDMI port.
The 3rd monitor I use for system monitoring software and run it at 1920x1080 and use the top DVI port (which is dual-DVI I think)

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
BTW your system looks EXCELLENT. I'm jealous of the 780ti's you're going to get. The only thing I would suggest is to find some way to add an SSD... even if you only install the OS on it.

... oops nevermind. I see you have it listed under hard drive. I think you're good to go